question

mswoboda avatar image
mswoboda asked

Three Phase System in Panama

CYSCO-Information_US-Netzformen.pdf
The question is actually quite complicate.

Generally I want to know if you can build a system with three phases in America.

My background is former car mechanic (master exam) and later then I studied Information technology. I built in Austria a three phase system (3x Multiplus 5000/48) with success and I am quite familiar with Victron systems.

Now I live in Panama. For my house I will build a system with two Quattros with the 110/220V with LiFePo4 batteries. That should be easy.

But a friend of mine will build a dry chamber for drying wood. This industrial machine (from Italy) has 20kWwith three phases and he will build it offgrid, but maybe later then he will connect it to the grid, if once it is there.

So we could easily build a European system there, but then we can never connect to the local grid.

As far as I know in the US are also three phases possible (attached I found this document). Still I don't know yet what about Panama.
Of course we will contact a local electrician. But in Panama to get a good one is not that easy than in Europe or in the USA.

But generally (neglecting the drychamber): Is it possible to make a three phase system with Victron devices in the USA with the grid there?

Besides that we have the problem with the frequency. In Europe it is 50Hz and in America it is 60Hz. So I still don't know if the dry chamber is working then (but this we will find out if we contact the Italian company).

I am more than happy for any comments,
Thank you in advance!

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger3 phaseusa
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mswoboda avatar image
mswoboda answered ·

Now I found an answer:
https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/44534/3-phase-system-480-v.html

So three phase with 480V is not possible.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·

There is a couple of different ways to do it.

3x 120V inverters in a 120v/208V setup which is normal for the US and then you use a transformer to go from 120/208 to 277/480v.

or

3x 240v inverters (better suited for Victron) in a 230/400V configuration and then use a transformer to get 120/208V if needed.

It really depends on the grid connection you want to connect to, at some point it will need to go through a transformer before getting to the grid.

Victron Equipment can do both 50hz or 60hz but obviously if it is configured for 50hz it won't join to a 60hz grid.

2 |3000

mswoboda avatar image
mswoboda answered ·

Thanks for the answer. As far as I know the Victron devices cannot handle 480V three phase. So the drychamber will be produced for 240V/60Hz. So this question is answered.
For the topology I openend a new thread.

1 comment
2 |3000

shaneyake avatar image shaneyake commented ·
Correct to do 480V 3phase you need to use a transformer.
0 Likes 0 ·