question

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem asked

Orion DC-DC charger enhancement

I would like to see the Orion DC-DC chargers integrated with the GX device so it can show charging power from places like dumb alternators. Yes I know you can add a SmartShunt configured as a DC meter that can connect to the GX device but that nearly doubles the cost of the 12 | 12 - 18.

If this is already in the works, great.

orion dc-dc
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Trevor Bird avatar image Trevor Bird commented ·
I agree
1 Like 1 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
I think most of us would.

I would, but not at the cost of replacing my existing kit.

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

@Kevin Windrem note a smart shunt will only work accurately on an isolated version. It has been a while and my electronic engineering days are a long time ago. I believe that if you put a clamp meeter on the negative of a non-isolated version you will only get a reading on the current differential between the two positives. So if positive in is 10A and positive out is 8A, the negative will show 2A.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
Yes, this is true. There would be no way to measure output power on a non-isolated DC-DC.

The DC-DC could of course report the output power/current and currently does over Bluetooth and Victron Connect.

For these situations where an isolated negative isn't possible, a SmartShunt that can be inserted in the positive lead would also be a valuable product.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I realize that Bluetooth isn't as reliable as a dedicated VE.Direct (or other wired) connection, but maybe Venus OS could read values for Orion (and other Victron Smart devices) over Bluetooth. This seems to be working well for Ruuvi temperature sensors and Mopeka tank sensors.

2 |3000

joeccv avatar image
joeccv answered ·

Sterling Power has introduced its new line of DC-DC chargers which now offer bidirectional charging. They are really stepping up their game! When will victron follow suit? Even just an update to the firmware which shows current in/out would be a huge improvement.

I have been installing the victron orion setup, including a parallel setup for higher power charging, but to make it work to its advertised rate, I need to install cooling fans on the backs of the heat sinks. This includes adding a fan, relay to turn the fan on and off when the charger is triggered (i always wire engine running signal to a dash switch) and when two chargers are installed it also includes two power distribution centers for the parallel fusing of the input/output. It's in fact really complicated.

I will be testing out the Renogy DCDC-60 amp charger on my next build. I've done a lot of research and it seems to get great reviews, plus I can wire it to two dash switches, one from the engine running signal for on/off, and another for the current limit feature to bring it to 30 amps, which is essentially the same as how i control my dual orion setup. The big bonus is it will be much less complicated to get 60 amps of charge, with built in cooling fans and no additional power bus. Another is that it has lugs for ring terminals, so larger cable can be used to achieve less voltage loss. The lower cost is obviously great, as long as it performs well. I'm not sure I'm a fan of it's lithium charging profile yet.

The new sterlings look awesome, and they also have current limiting, but I wish it was triggered via switch. It however seems to be a more permanent setting that needs to be configured via the remote. (My philosophy is that current limiting should be available by dash switch for periods of extended idling.)

2 |3000

bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

@JoeCCV Unfortunately a firmware update will not help with delivering current measurement. There is no capability in the hardware to do that.

2 |3000

Related Resources