question

miketuk avatar image
miketuk asked

Start generator via ModBusTCP on Quattro

Hi

Is it possible to start/stop the generator on a Quattro using ModbusTCP? It looks like this is register 3223 from the spreadsheet (CCGX-Modbus-TCP-register-list-2.23.xlsx) , but I have no idea which id this corresponds to and they all fail. It is listed as com.victronenergy.genset in the dbus-service-name.

I am using ModbusTcpClient on a local Raspberry Pi to do this from Python.

Thanks

Mike

Modbus TCP
1556727337074.png (1.1 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lsgv avatar image lsgv commented ·

Waking up this thread albeit with Multiplus.

As part of my installation I have a Multiplus II 5000, CCGX and Kohler generator. The generator is connected/wired to the relay of the CCGX. I have the generator auto-start function activated and all works well. But I want to be able to start the generator manually for a given period of time using my Home Assistant house automation system. I can do it using the CCGX MQTT broker set-up on topics /ManualStartTimer and /ManualStart. Following the instructions I first set the ManualStartTime to whatever duration I want the generator to run, and then send a 1 on ManualStart. I have this working well too.

1644768279911.png

Now for a number of reasons I want to use the CCGX modbus TCP protocol instead of MQTT. Looking through the modbus register file I see at com.victronenergy.generator register 3500 Manual Start which is writable, but I cannot find the equivalent of /ManualStartTimer. Modbus registers 3502 and 3504, Runtime in seconds, are only readable, not writable.

Question: Which modbus register to set generator manual start timer?

0 Likes 0 ·
1644768279911.png (35.0 KiB)
superpipo avatar image superpipo lsgv commented ·
Hello

i am trying to set up the manual start timer using mqtt, is it possible to share the yaml configuration file?

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, this depends on how you’ve wired the generator; its not possible to control the relay inside the Quattro, using ModbusTCP

But, if you’re using the generator start/stop mechanism in your GX device, and have the generator wired there as well, then you can do it via ModbusTCP.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

questvent avatar image questvent commented ·

Hey there mvader,

I've got an RPi 3 B+ running Venus OS v2.30~45 (really awesome, btw, I'll probably end up buying a real Venus GX now that I've used it). I've got a MPPT 150/85 and BMV-712 on USB, all working great.

I'm using OpenHAB2 for some things, and I can toggle the relay via modbus TCP from OH if I write to register 806 (in com.victronenergy.system), but the relay has to be in manual mode on the Venus. If I switch the relay mode to Generator Start/Stop, I can only monitor the relay from OH, writing to 806 register doesn't stick, it just toggles back to 0.

So, probably like the OP Mike, I figured maybe I would need to use the com.victronenergy.genset registers instead after switching the relay to Generator Start/Stop. However, I've got the same problem, I can't find these addresses in Modbus, I don't know what UnitID to map.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ questvent commented ·

Hi @questvent, it sounds like we don't have those registers com.victronenergy.genset registers mapped on the ModbusTCP interface.

If you search Google, you can find dbus modbustcp repository, in it attributes.csv, which is also on your Venus OS. From then on you'll have to do without my help I'm afraid. I'd like to help more, but need to do some other things. Sorry.

0 Likes 0 ·
questvent avatar image questvent mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

It gives me a place to start, thanks for your time.

0 Likes 0 ·
uniport avatar image uniport questvent commented ·

Just wondered if you had any luck with this ?

0 Likes 0 ·
seamaster avatar image seamaster questvent commented ·
Any luck with that one? Please update us...
0 Likes 0 ·
uniport avatar image
uniport answered ·

Hi @mvader (Victron Energy Staff)

If we use the relay in the GX to start/stop the generator, when the Quattro requests power, will that trigger the relay in the GX?

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

That depends on the settings, please see our generator start/stop manual. And, your question is not related to ModbusTCP, or is it? In that case, if you have more questions, please ask a new question; and then community can help you.

Success!

0 Likes 0 ·
lsgv avatar image
lsgv answered ·

Raising the question again. Not really an issue just that I need to keep both MQTT and modbus integrations which I’d rather not for simplicity reasons.

2 |3000

Related Resources