question

kdrvsolar avatar image
kdrvsolar asked

Venus VRM Security questions

What are the appropriate Remote Console settings to have a secure connection between VRM and the Venus when using the VRM Remote Console feature? Should I set the "Use Secure Connection option" to HTTPS? If so, is it important to use the VRM password option?

I currently have the HTTPS option selected and noticed that my router is not displaying the MAC address of the Victron Connection. It's Blank. Why is that? I currently connected using the Venus internal WIFI instead of a USB WIFI.

VRMVenus GX - VGX
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Good security practices for VRM:

Enable "Use Secure Connection - HTTPS" in the VRM menu. This encrypts the traffic between the Venus-device and browser. A third party shouldn't be able to intercept the connection.

Use a VRM password. This provides a further requirement for authorised access to the remote console. You need to know the code to start the session.

For Venus GX - It's recommended to use a USB Wifi adapter. The internal wifi antenna is not strong and intended for direct connection to the device while you are in front of it. You may have issues with reliability of the signal if it is used as part of another wifi network.

I am not sure if this would lead to the issue you are seeing with no MAC showing, but you are operating outside the supported configuration. Others may be able to provide more info.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kdrvsolar avatar image
kdrvsolar answered ·

Thank You, The USB wireless adapter is on the way to me.

2 |3000

Related Resources