question

digitalxxl avatar image
digitalxxl asked

MPPT blue LED blinking at night

Hello,

can anyone tell me how to disable the blue LED constantly blinking at night ? We have two MPPT inside our Expedition Mobile and at night both of them are blinking blue which is pretty annoying.

Both are MPPT 100/50

MPPT Controllersled
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
digitalxxl avatar image
digitalxxl answered ·

Maybe this can be added as a

MPPT Feature Request

to the next firmware so we can disable the blue LED at night or totally.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hemaris avatar image hemaris commented ·

I agree that this feature is badly needed. My low-tech solution (which I am sure many others are also using) is to cover the led with a tape so that one can barely see the glow of the led. In my case the unit is outside so faint glow resulting from several layers of tape does not any more disturb. But without this simple trick the blinking blue led is very bright in the darkness.

0 Likes 0 ·
digitalxxl avatar image digitalxxl hemaris commented ·

I agree, that is my current solution. But I think Victron's design engineers put so much effort in crafting beautiful devices and we need to put some tape on it ???

Come on Victron, really ??

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ digitalxxl commented ·

OK, jokes aside, usefully practical though they may be, it is something that could be done I think.
Flashing status LED's seem to be on lots of things these days, computer monitors are notorious for this sort of thing. I guess design engineers don't consider that the product they are developing will be used in sleeping quarters.
Having said that, Victron products are quite likely to be installed in or near sleeping quarters and so perhaps a more elegant facility to switch the unit into some sort of "Bedtime" mode could be incorporated into a future firmware update.

2 Likes 2 ·
jeffrey avatar image jeffrey digitalxxl commented ·

Agreed. These pieces of equipment are very thoughtfully designed, and including them as a feature of the interior is how I configured the layout of my van conversion project.

Perhaps an option to use the inbuilt streetlight function to disable lights (the VE.Direct Bluetooth connector for my inverter also flashes all night long) during dark hours would be possible? I don’t know about you, but I rarely look to the lights for information, but rather refer to VictronConnect connect on my iPhone.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Wasn't *Blu Tack* developed to do this? Same colour even.. :)

1 comment
2 |3000

digitalxxl avatar image digitalxxl commented ·

Sorry ? What is *Blu Tack* ?

Ok, funny.. Currently it is resolved by "TNT-DuckTape".. But that is ugly..

I also consider soldering out the blue LED if there is no support from Victron coming.

0 Likes 0 ·
Dave avatar image
Dave answered ·

To stop it flashing you need to switch off the 'battery life' function. AFAIK that is the only way?

Dave

1 comment
2 |3000

dworkin avatar image dworkin commented ·

Hi Dave 2000,

What actually is the the 'battery life' function. I have the 100/50 though no mention of 'battery life' in any documentation (such as it is)

Cheers

1 Like 1 ·
christyler avatar image
christyler answered ·

Why is this Victron"s problem. Did they tell you to mount the device in your bedroom.

Why not just mount the device where you can't see it at night ??

1 comment
2 |3000

geoffl avatar image geoffl commented ·

+1 for the request to be able to switch off the LEDs. In the meantime, I'll probably resort to a strip of tape to cover them.

It's Victron's problem because the equipment is likely to be used in a caravan or motorhome, where there is limited choice of location and so this blue flashing light can be a real issue. In my motorhome, my Smartsolar 75/15 replaced an old Siemens PWM controller. I didn't have much choice where to fit the controller as the wiring was already in place and the hole in the roof for the cables already created. Last weekend was the first time out after fitting the controller and that infernal blue light was like a lightning flash every three seconds that kept me awake; and I didn't have the tools with me to disconnect the controller nor blu-tack, duct tape etc. to cover the LED.

0 Likes 0 ·
joeoffgrid avatar image
joeoffgrid answered ·

Would be even more concerned about the 24/7 BT radiation.

1 comment
2 |3000

daveh avatar image daveh commented ·

People have wifi, cell phone signal ect. So bt probably won't affect much.

0 Likes 0 ·
elf avatar image
elf answered ·

Two years have passed and it's getting brighter :(

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic