question

westen avatar image
westen asked

MPPT widgets in VRM (can't toggle "on")

Goodmorning!

Very pleased with my Globallink 520!

It beautifully shows battery stats from the BMV712. I just can't seem to toggle "on" the widgets for the MPPT that is also showing up in the same network (pic 1) 1.png I noticed that it says the serial number of this MPPT is "false" (pic 2). Could this be related?2.pngI checked the serial number, and it it seems to be right...

Anybody got any suggestions?

I'd appreciate it!

jan

VRMgloballink
1.png (302.2 KiB)
2.png (263.7 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Is it connected via VE direct (that is a requirement) and is the mppt firmware current?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

westen avatar image
westen answered ·

Thank you for your reply, Nick.

I was wondering if I should use a VE direct cable or not.

But seeing that the BMV712 connected nicely via Blootooth, I was under the impression the same would apply to the MPPT.

I will get me a VE direct cable for the solar and give it another go and will also check the firmware (although I'm pretty sure it is up-to-date).

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of possible solutions.

jan

2 |3000

jolir avatar image
jolir answered ·

I have exactly the same issue. If I connect my MPPT to the GL520 via Bluetooth, it shows the serial number as false. If I connect via a ve.direct cable, it shows the correct serial number.

Via Bluetooth, it also doesn’t show all the widgets on the MPPT which I have selected, though it does with the ve.direct cable. Like you, my BMV712S works perfectly via Bluetooth.

Another strange thing is that I can switch the widgets on or off using my laptop, or using an old iPhone 8, which I use as a permanent display for my system. However, I can’t switch the widgets on or off using my iPhone 11 Pro. The screen just doesn’t respond with the GL520 and VRM, yet works with any other App.

Lastly, I get long breaks in transmission polling. It’s supposed to be 15 minutes but, 4 to 7 times a day, it may not poll for 30 minutes up to nearly 3 hours. I’m using an external antenna with excellent (-65dBm) power.

3 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Correction. VE is not required.

0 Likes 0 ·
jolir avatar image jolir nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

My manual disagrees with that, Nick. It clearly states that the SmartSolar MPPT can be connected via a ve.direct cable or via Bluetooth.

I suspect you may have an earlier GL520, which only supported ve.direct connections.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ jolir commented ·

screenshot-2022-11-01-at-104330.png

Need to consider the whole document.

0 Likes 0 ·
jolir avatar image
jolir answered ·

ed87e160-f4a7-4f94-8bea-459f0e0a6f83.jpegThis seems to confirm that you have an older version, as my manual is different to yours.

5 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Hmm, let me try get some clarity.

Have you tried the beta firmware which has a lot of blueteeth improvements?

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/138150/globallink-field-test-firmware-v206-beta-122.html

0 Likes 0 ·

I only use fully released firmware. Those features, highlighted by you, were part of a beta from early June this year.

The fully released firmware (what Victron call stable), including full Bluetooth connectivity, was already current when I bought my GL520 at the beginning of October.

0 Likes 0 ·

You are correct. it should work, VE should not be needed.

The following smart devices are compatible with Instant readout:

• SmartBMV

• SmartShunt

• SmartSolar MPPT charger

• RuuviTag and RuuviTag Pro

0 Likes 0 ·

You have tested that instant readout is enabled on the products via victron connect?

Before setting up your GlobalLink 520, connect to your Victron smart devices using the VictronConnect app to update the firmware of those devices and then enable Instant readout from the Product info menu.

0 Likes 0 ·
Yes. Instant readout is definitely enabled.
0 Likes 0 ·
jolir avatar image
jolir answered ·

To the original poster (Westen)

What device are you using to try to toggle the widgets ON or OFF? As I wrote above, I can’t toggle them on an iPhone 11 Pro, but can toggle them on an iPhone 8 or via my laptop.

On my BMV712S, the battery temperature data is only transmitted very occasionally via the GL520. I noted that in June this year, Victron stated that they had added this widget to the 15 minute list. It appears that change still isn’t yet functional?

4 comments
2 |3000

westen avatar image westen commented ·

All is good. I've managed to toggle "on" the widgets of the MPPT, just using Bluetooth. Real happy about that. There still seem te be some issues with the graphs though (for the MPPT they show up randomly, or not at all for long stretches (hours) of time). I expect delivery of a VE-Direct cable today. I'm going to try that out: a wired connection between the GL520 and MPPT 100/50 might make a difference.

I use a Android (Samsung) device for Victron Connect and operate VRM through a MacbookPro.

Real happy about progress being made sofar: I like this new tool Globallink 520!

0 Likes 0 ·
westen avatar image westen westen commented ·
An Update. Connecting the MPPT via VE-Direct (instead of using Bluetooth) has dramatically increased overall performance of the MPPT graphs/info (read out of the GL520).

I like GL520 even better now. It presents me with a very comfortable overview of all sorts of parameters through time. This again makes it possible for me to go and make adjustments to parameters, and judge it's playing out. For instance, I've been having issues with my BMV setting itself to 100% fully charged, whereas the MPPT is still charging (I think). Now, with the help of GL520, I can start making adjustments to BMV-settings and then see it's workings displayed on the graphs. I think they're called widgets, these graphs. At least, that is my next plan. Lots of fun!
1 Like 1 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ westen commented ·
VRM and Victron Connect works perfectly on a mac, I have an assortment (being an Applenista) and it works great. If you have an M1 (apple silicon) based mac you can even run the IOS VRM app and use widgets (though it is completely unsupported).

0 Likes 0 ·
westen avatar image westen nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Nick, thanks for your suggestion of using a VE-direct cable!
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

VRM login page

VRM documentation

VRM API documentation

How to change the Owner of a VRM installation

Globalink Product page

Globalink Online Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic