question

leonb avatar image
leonb asked

Relay to activate contactor on ac input

Hello All,

I want to add a contactor on ACinput, ie, when supply fails, the contactor must open so it cannot feedback to grid. When grid returns, the contactor must close again. This is a legal requirement here in SA, and I want to use Quattro and not Multi II

Can I do this on either the relay in the quattro, or the relay in GX device?

How would I program this?

Regards

cerbo gxRelayquattro 10kvaac
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

You don't need a relay of the Quattro or Cerbo for that, just connect the coil of the contactor to the grid and it will engage if the grid is available and disengage if the grid fails.

But in most countries you need a certified Anti-islanding relay for that, not just a simple contactor.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@LeonB

https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/anti-islanding-box-63a

You need anti islanding relays, if it is for some grid standards with the Quattro. It does have an internal relay that opens automatically on grid faliure.

The grid code in Victron Ve config for SA has the programming for the standards to open and close the grid relay. Are they asking for extra equipment? Or the double relay that the Multi 2 has?

2 |3000

leonb avatar image
leonb answered ·

Thanks @Matthias Lange - DE and @Alexandra .

Agree with Anti Islanding, but in SA, our electricity provider wants more than just anti-islanding.

PS, This is a 60kVA AC Coupled system so not even sure if the Zehl will work at those amperages.

Regards

2 comments
2 |3000

ian-c avatar image ian-c commented ·
@LeonB what do you mean more than just anti-islanding? The Ziehl unit is NRS 097-2-1 certified so if you have that in your installation then you will be grid code compliant for any supplier in RSA in terms of anti islanding. You also need export limitation and also need to be compliant in terms of NMD/inversion ratio limit of your supply.

If you use just a straight contactor like you are suggesting you definitely won't be compliant. In terms of anti-islanding, your solution needs to be double fault tolerant and take into account the line voltage and frequency as well. Just use the Ziehl with an external contactor.
1 Like 1 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@LeonB

The ziehl can be bought separately and programmed to match grid reconnection needs. Contactors are then used to suit your connection. The one i linked was just a premade setup as an example

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources