question

Chad Heiser avatar image
Chad Heiser asked

Venus OS v2.92 Bluetooth Missing from Settings Menu and Bluetooth Sensors missing from I/O Menu

I just upgraded to Venus OS v2.92 on my Cerbo GX. When I did, my RUUVI sensors stopped communicating with VRM. I went to the Cerbo settings menu and found Bluetooth was gone from the menu list. I then went to the I/O menu in Settings and found that Bluetooth Sensors was gone from that list. I rebooted the Cerbo, but this did not correct the issue. The menu items are still missing. What happened to Bluetooth and Bluetooth sensors in v2.92? My Ruuvi sensors were functioning perfectly before I updated the Venus OS.

Venus OS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Do you use the internal Bluetooth of the Cerbo?
There is a known issue with the BT module of the Cerbo it shuts off due to "high" temperature.
The FW update cause a higher CPU load and that can cause the BT module to crash.

You can try to turn off the Cerbo for a few minutes to let it cool down a bit.

It is required to use one of the listed external USB Bluetooth dongles for a stable BT connection.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/connecting-supported-non-victron-products.html#UUID-d91da0a0-9a84-587b-18e8-abf55c6ac8a6

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Chad Heiser avatar image
Chad Heiser answered ·

I doubt it was heat causing the issue. The Bluetooth menu and sensors disappeared immediately upon upgrading to Venus OS 2.92. There was no time for the CPU to heat up and affect the internal Bluetooth. Additionally, I let the Cerbo run on Venus OS 2.92 for approximately 24 hrs. I then reverted back to v2.89 and my Bluetooth menu and options immediately came back. This is an obvious software issue, not a hardware issue.

1 comment
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

It is a known hardware issue, not software.
https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/112834/connect-ruuvi-to-ccgx.html

It is recommended to use an external BT dongle for a stable BT connection.

The FW update itself can cause a higher CPU load.
Did you try to turn the Cerbo off for a few minutes?

We have a few Cerbo running at 2.92 with working BT.

0 Likes 0 ·
Chad Heiser avatar image
Chad Heiser answered ·

An additional update. I let the system run on v2.89 for another 24 hrs after reverting and then did the v2.92 update again. This time everything worked and my Bluetooth menu and sensors are all there. I don’t know why it failed/disappeared the first time I tried to upgrade.

2 |3000

Chad Heiser avatar image
Chad Heiser answered ·

An additional update. Today I was checking my system status remotely through VRM to see how the solar was doing recharging the batteries. I noticed all my Ruuvi sensors hadn’t reported for about three hours. I pulled up remote console and went to the settings menu and couldn’t find the Bluetooth menu. It was completely gone from the menu structure again.

The last time this happened it was in conjunction with my upgrade to Venus OS 2.9.2 (as I reported above). This time there was no OS update involved. The Bluetooth just stopped working and disappeared from the menu structure for no apparent reason. I tried rebooting the Cerbo, but that didn’t solve the problem. I then reverted back to Venus OS 2.8.9. My Bluetooth menu came back, but the Cerbo still wasn’t seeing any of my Ruuvi sensors. I rebooted back to OS 2.9.2 and the Bluetooth menu disappeared again. I rebooted back to 2.8.9 and the menu came back, but still no sensors were present. I rebooted back to 2.9.2 and the Bluetooth menu disappeared again. I gave up and decided to mess with it some more when I got back to the trailer.

When we got back to the trailer a couple hours later, I checked the Cerbo and all my sensors were back showing in the Devices menu and my Bluetooth menu was back in the menu structure. I have no idea why it came back or why it disappeared. There were no changes to the system other than the passage of time.

Since this is an intermittent issue, I’m not sure what the best course of action would be to deal with it.

1 comment
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
As already mentioned above, use an external BT dongle and the problem should be gone.
0 Likes 0 ·
isa avatar image
isa answered ·

Hi all-

I am also having rhe same issue. I do have a victron approved boothtooth dongle in place & heat is not an issue. I'm moving between firmware 2.84 (ruuvi sensors working Bluetooth option on menu) to 2.92 (ruuvi sensors not displaying, Bluetooth sensors not an option under I/O). I've done soft reboots and rebooting after disconnecting power and continue to get the same results.

Anyone else experience this or know how to fix?

Thanks!

2 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Isa,

Which model external USB Bluetooth dongle are you using?

1 Like 1 ·
isa avatar image isa Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
I'm using the tp link dongle. I did downgrade my software to get the sensors to work.

Then, I realized I never added the ferrite beads to my line. I did that, and now see the ruuvi sensors and am updated to 2.94.

Thanks for checking in.

1 Like 1 ·
mryoshii avatar image
mryoshii answered ·

Hi, I'm on V3.00 and for me also there is no Bluetooth menu? Is this still an issue?
It worked fine until today as I removed the ESS Assistant and with it the Bluetooth menu also disappeared.

4 comments
2 |3000

jasonford avatar image jasonford commented ·
My Mopeka sensors for my water tanks disappeared today. Been working fine for several weeks and now Bluetooth has disappeared from the I/O menu altogether. Currently using firmware v3.00. Tried reverting to v2.94, but no change.
0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ jasonford commented ·
Hi @jasonford and @MrYoshii

Which model external USB Bluetooth dongle are you using?

0 Likes 0 ·
mryoshii avatar image mryoshii Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi I'm using internal BL and i think it was a temperature issue. It's working again. But I'm kinda disappointed that the ~300€ Cerbo GX is not capable in handling Bluetooth onboard. Maybe add a fan or head sink next time?

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ mryoshii commented ·
It was a shame.

We have resolved it with the latest hardware revision.

0 Likes 0 ·
eric-thomas avatar image
eric-thomas answered ·

I just updated to 3.01 from 2.89 and my bluetooth option disappeared. I tried the latest conditional release and had the same problem.

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
You are most likely on an older cerbo which disables bluetooth when it gets warm - this is well documented as is the requirement to use a dongle for bluetooth.

Recent code has got "busier" making the Cerbo work harder, as does the update itself. This is enough to generate sufficient heat to disable the internal adapter.

If you force cool it, it will likely reappear, but the solution is an external dongle as per the docs.

Newer cerbos don't behave this way.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources