question

elvis avatar image
elvis asked

Multiplus II Charge LED's off during grid lost.

Multiplus II Charge LED's off during grid lost.

All 3 (Bulk, Absorption, Float) are off, yet Charging is taking place.

Shouldn't there be some indicator of the charge status during grid lost when PV is abundant?

The MPPT's are still under EXT Control so I would expect one of the 3 LED's to be on.

Multiplus-IIESSchargergrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

The mutiplus has 2 modes, charger mode (requiring external AC In) and invert mode. with grid loss, the unit is always in invert mode - or off. The inverter is a '4 Quadrant' inverter, which means that if you have a grid connected pv inverter connected to it's output, and the pv power is greater than the loads, the inverter 'takes' power from the AC bus and charges the battery with it. Thus whilst the inverter may be charging the battery to the 'Absorption' voltage, the charger section of the inverter is still off - hence no led's on the charger side.

If you need to know the status, then you need to check with a Venus device or Victron connect app.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

elvis avatar image
elvis answered ·

@Mike Dorsett

Thats kinda what I was wondering but there does not seem to be anything in the apps that will tell me Bulk, Absorption, Float. Or am I just missing it?

Thanks

2 |3000

Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Not sure on that, as I don't have grid connected pv on my system. But basically, the inverter will use frequency shift to control the PV output in a simple system. So if f = 50Hz, you are in Bulk, if F = 52Hz, you ate in float. There is a configuration in the inverter set up to control at what point the frequency switches. Hope that this has been set up and activated.. You need the VE configure and Mk2 or Mk3 to check that.

1 comment
2 |3000

elvis avatar image elvis commented ·

Well, I tried it out today just to see.

Tried in three states, Bulk, Absorption, Float.

The frequency never shifted to anything other than 59.91 and 60.09 (60+- .09 hz)

I also hooked up the MK3 and viewed the Multiplus II from VE configure and Victron connect. I could not find anything regarding Frequency shift under any of the tabs.

Do you have a screen shot of the relevant section in VE configure?

Thank you

0 Likes 0 ·
elvis avatar image
elvis answered ·

I may have misunderstood you. I think you are talkng about an A/C coupled inverter connected to the A/C out on the multiplus. I dont have a setup like that. Just Victron DC PV Charge controllers.

2 |3000