question

Gian avatar image
Gian asked

I just tried a wifi antenna to improve the signal of Cerbo GX

Dear

My Cerbo GX had a Wi-Fi signal of 55%, I bought a Wi-Fi Dongle antenna for 2 dollars and this increased the signal by 26% reaching 81%, I think this information can be useful to someone, I hope it helps them improve the Wi-Fi of your system.

ralink mt-7601

wifi
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

espoerer avatar image espoerer commented ·

20221018-082901.jpgImage Caption

20221018-082909.jpgImage Caption

20221018-082944.jpg

After plug it in, seems that the remote console hangs, should I reboot the Cerbo or only wait?

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ espoerer commented ·
Restart
0 Likes 0 ·
6 Answers
Gian avatar image
Gian answered ·

If you have to connect it to usb port 2 or 3, it works for us.

The one closest to hdmi, since it is only power

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
I've edited this reply for clarity. Hope I haven't distorted your meaning.
0 Likes 0 ·
espoerer avatar image
espoerer answered ·

That is a very good gain in signal strengh. Can you help me with the steps to setup a Victron nano Wi-Fi dongle?

I have tried several times plug it in the first USB port of my Cerbo GX and it hangs the remote console, which is the way to st it up?

Thanks in advance

1 comment
2 |3000

Gian avatar image Gian commented ·

I have tried several Wi-Fi antennas and they had not worked for me, this one is very cheap, it turns out to be a good solution

0 Likes 0 ·
rvicev avatar image
rvicev answered ·

The 1stb USB is not a true USB but is only there to power a GXTouch screen. Try the 2nd or the 3rd (and ..... RTFM :) ).

1 comment
2 |3000

Thank you very much for your answer but yes I mean the first port but from outside of the case, I understand that the port closer to the HDMI port is only for the screen.

What I wanted to understand is there is some setup, reboot after pluging the nano Wi-Fi dongle.

I have RTFM several times with no answer to this procedure, it only talks about different dongles compatibles with the Cerbo but no about setup.

Thanks again.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

On WiFi dongles.

There's a comment in the manual about dongle selection, which basically says many work, some don't. The Cerbo runs the Venus OS, which is a Victron version of Linux. I've found that there are dongles which insist on loading their own drivers. In general these do not work under Linux.

B asked on my experience with Linux on the Raspberry Pi, I suggest that if you can't find one of the Victron supported/certified dongles, look for one that says in its specification that it is good for Linux. Much better chance of success.

2 |3000

Daniele Calabrese avatar image
Daniele Calabrese answered ·

can you share pics model number thanks

2 comments
2 |3000

20221018-082901.jpgImage Caption

20221018-082909.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
Gian avatar image Gian commented ·

Dear

I leave the link of the WiFi antenna

0 Likes 0 ·
Gian avatar image
Gian answered ·
2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic