question

marekpawlik avatar image
marekpawlik asked

Victron SmartShunt does not detect charging

Hey, I need some help :)

I added the smartshunt to my second battery (Odyssey Extreme 34-PC1500) in my 4runner.

I use the REDARC DC to DC charging (BCDC1225D)

Everything works great except the app doesn't show the charging, but charging works and you can see life current on app but "stage of charge" only shows drops the procentage.

I think that battery settings maybe are wrong?

I attached the screen shot of my battery settings.

screenshot-20221013-183912.jpg

SmartShuntAGM Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

Sounds like you have the shunt wired up wrong, the charger negative may be connected to the battery negative. Make sure that only the battery negative is connected to the battery side of the shunt and the only connection to the battery negative is the shunt. All other negative connections from loads, chargers and ground cables should be wired to the system side of the shunt.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

marekpawlik avatar image
marekpawlik answered ·

Thank you for you time, the shunt is connected correctly. The charger negative is connected to loads. In few hours I prepere the wire diagram.

1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Use this for a Redarc.

redarc-b.png

0 Likes 0 ·
redarc-b.png (185.0 KiB)
marekpawlik avatar image
marekpawlik answered ·

Here is a wire diagram how everything is connected in my car. Everything works fine. The app shows live discharge and charge but percentage do not show charge, only discharge (how many procentage left).

Also in history is no information about charge. Please check the screen shot.
4runner.jpgImage Caption

screenshot-20221013-183835.jpgImage Caption

screenshot-20221013-183807.jpgImage Caption

screenshot-20221013-183912.jpg

2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Move the battery ground cable to the other side of the shunt.

redacr-f.png

redacr-f.png (141.0 KiB)
5 comments
2 |3000

marekpawlik avatar image marekpawlik commented ·

you mean disconnect from car chassis?

If I add this to "Load" it will be same minus terminal connected to both sides of shunt.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ marekpawlik commented ·
The current has to flow through the shunt for it to be measured.

Al loads and charging sources have to be on load/charger side of the shunt.

0 Likes 0 ·
marekpawlik avatar image marekpawlik klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

I will try it first in the morning. One more (maybe stupid question) but should I keep connecting battery to chassis and add one more wire to Shunt Load? Or disconnect from chassis?

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ marekpawlik commented ·
Disconnect the auxiliary battery from the chassis.

You need the chassis ground on the loads/charger side of the shunt.

Look at my diagram, it is easy to see how all current goes into/out of the battery via the shunt.

0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell marekpawlik commented ·
If you read my first answer, the only connection on the battery negative is the shunt, and the ground cable goes on the load side. Somehow, your charging current is finding its way through the ground cable to the battery and bypassing the shunt.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources