question

smallsolar avatar image
smallsolar asked

Mppt 100/15 Load Output display issues

I have a Smart Solar MPPT 100/15 (v. 1.59) hooked up (VE direct to USB) to a Rpi4 running Venus (v. 2.90) and it is running a 24v DC to 5v DC converter on the load output of the MPPT that is powering the Rpi. I am seeing some weird logging issues both on the VRM side and in the MPPT's page in the Victron connect app. Based on what I am seeing in the VRM stats, it appears that both VRM and the charge controller stop displaying any power output on the load terminal as soon as the solar voltage drops off for the day and they begin showing power usage when the voltage picks up again in the morning. Is this normal?

To be clear, the load output stays on the whole time and powers the Rpi running venus (verified running "uptime" on the Rpi), it just doesn't seem like it is according to the stats. Attached is a screenshot from both Victron connect and the VRM advanced stats. You can see in the VRM screenshot that during the day the load output shows 0.1 A out, which is right for the 3 W average the Rpi is using. During the day you can also see this load output in the Victron Connect app. But during the night in the Victron connect app it shows the load output on with no output and the VRM registers the same.

Do I have something configured wrong, or is this a ghost in the machine?

screenshot-2022-10-11-235045.jpg

screenshot-20221011-233822.png

VRMMPPT SmartSolarVenus OS
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

smallsolar avatar image smallsolar commented ·

I'm wondering if the error I am seeing is because the load output is so small it is being written off as phantom power. I read a bunch of other forums from a couple years ago where the load output was showing 0.1 A output with nothing connected, and I wonder if the fix for that was some sort of software filter that ignores load output below a certain threshold in the calculation.

Also here is an additional photo from Victron connect during the day where you can see the load output displayed.screenshot-20221012-075253.png

0 Likes 0 ·
smallsolar avatar image smallsolar commented ·
I have a second MPPT that is having the same issue even with a slightly bigger load (6-7w). The load is being underreported in both the victron connect app and the vrm and only shows output after the solar voltage rises.
0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers

Related Resources