question

Paul B avatar image
Paul B asked

Multiplus and CCGX DMC and VE Bus disconnect

The site has 3 multiplus units all on 459 firmware all in parallel

the site works fine using the DCM or the CCGX NOW but connect both and the DMC works fine but the CCGX keeps dropping out and then back on then out again

by this I mean it shows the correct infor then the info drops out and the display says OFF, however the DMC still stays working and so does do the inverters

I have tried new cables and changed them ALL to Cat 6 Cables with plastic plug ends

History

1. first of all I installed the CCGX to the site with the DCM connected and all worked well. this had a 20 mtr cat 5 cable from the inverters to the ccgx then a 1 mtr to the DMC the CCGX on 2.23 FW

2. then I changed the inverters battery cable lengths so they where all identical

3. I then upgraded the firmware from 419 to 459

After the above had been done

The CCGX would not connect AT all and I also could not get a connection with the MK3 but the MK2 would work.

I then ran a temp new victron cat 5 - 10 mtr cable and the CCGX would then work but connect the DCM and the CCGX would go off line, use a 5 mtr cable and all worked fine, but this is way to short and I cant leave it like that on the boat.

I then had the original cable shortened to the Min length I could get about 9 mtrs, and the inverter interconnects also replaced with cat 6 and shortened it min lengths posable.

in the end to even get the CCGX to work on and off on off etc I shortened the ve bus internect cables and this then allowed the CCGX to work abate not to well, I even tried putting it up to the release candidate firmware as well

Now the CCGX works in and out when the DMC is connected but fine on its own.

My suspicions are that the VE bus signal from the inverters has decreased in output power somehow, with the firmware upgrade.

the site is available via VRM if needed its setup as B2 on my site list plus the DMC is not currently connected so the CCGX and the VRM are working fine.

Note the CCGX is using the victron wifi dongle

Any one got any fancy ideas or tips

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerCCGX Color ControlDigital Multi Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·

Hi Beokel

No its the latest stock S/N HQ18438HX5W and on F/W 2.23 plus the have tried the pre relese software as well

Also of interest is that if I connect a MK3 to the system I cant see any of the inverters AT ALL

however a MK2 works fine

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

FYI in my system I am running a 10m Cat6 cable between Multi & CCGX, then 0.5m CCGX to DMC and it's all working fine on the latest firmware.

But I did initially have 2 communication issues;

1- The 1st 0.5m UTP cable I brought was faulty & had an intermittent connection.

2- The 2nd time I connected it all up (at the site) - I somehow got a small grain of sand wedged in one of the RJ45 plug terminals & it had an intermittent connection again as a result (that drove me crazy for about 1h, I went through many reboots & system redetects to isolate the issue/cable).

I think you still have a bad connection somewhere. Either in your new cables or to the RJ45 socket contacts.

If possible maybe try to 'swap' the UTP cable connections into the alternative port to try to possibly isolate a bad connection point (I do understand that both ports are probably utilised on most devices so this will be difficult to test item by item).

Also maybe try to visually inspect all the RJ45 sockets with a torch to ensure there are no obvious bent pins or obstructions.

I would also try to purchase another set of cables in a different/better brand & give that a go (it's not impossible for your 2nd set of cables to also be faulty).

2 comments
2 |3000

Hi Mark, Thanks for the reply

I have checked that one out and used contact cleaner on all the connections and cable tested all the cables. twice plus replaced them all twice,

and I have tried diferant VE bus sockets in the inverters as well, and checked for cracked or dry solder joints on the back of the boards.

Not this will not work using a 20 mtr cable but will work on a 10 mtr cable without the DMC connected.

I have not put any ferrits on any of the cables though, I did try one as thats all I had on site, and it made no diferance

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ Paul B commented ·

It sounds like you have been having some fun...

Based on your initial question, I thought you still have issues with a 10m cable + DMC connected...?

So does it do the same thing when you only have 1x Multi connected? Maybe try all 3 separately.

If so did you try to use the other VE Bus port on the CCGX?

Maybe try to source a 2nd CCGX to swap over for a test?

If you need ~20m of cable, then maybe it's just too long & expected behavior...

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

ok, how did you connect everything? can you provide a wiring diagram? (especially comms)

6 comments
2 |3000

The attached picture is of the Coms Wiring the one from the inverter (Master) to the CCGX was 20 Mtrs now its under 10 Meters the connects to the slaves are under 500mm each the connection to the DMC is under 300mm

0 Likes 0 ·
1556702610300.png (384.8 KiB)
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ Paul B commented ·

Hi @Paul B
Do you have another CCGX or Venus GX to try?

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B boekel ♦ commented ·

I am off site now but keep in mind that the MK3 does not pick up any inverters and a MK2 does.

plus the CCGX was working fine when the Inverters were on FW 419 and once upgraded to 459 it no longer worked using the old der 20 mtr Cat 5 cable

I am leaning toward a issue with the VE bus signel strength.

and somehow this has changed how its transmitted or the strength of signel has dropped between FW 419 and 459 firmware versions

maybe I have to downgrade back to FW 419

but really I would like to know why 459 is a problem

0 Likes 0 ·

what model number are the Multi's?

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B boekel ♦ commented ·

all are about 6 mths old so latest models all purchased at the same time

0 Likes 0 ·

What size? voltage? transfer capacity?

0 Likes 0 ·