question

gabriele-rossi avatar image
gabriele-rossi asked

Battery balancer wire gauge

Hi all,

I'm upgrading my battery bank to 2S4P 24v system using SBS 190F Batteries.

Ive just bough a battery balancer and will install it once the batteries arrive.

Will one unit be enough to balance the 4 strings?

What wire gauge should I use for it, +/- and mid?

Thank you

Battery Balancer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
ludo avatar image
ludo answered ·

Ideally you should use one balancer per string, but you can also interconnect all midpoints.

You should check fusing and wire sizes in the balancer manual, my gut-feeling would go to 6sqmm with 30a fuses.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Look into the manual/datasheet the balancer is balancing with max. 1A, so a 1,5mm² should be enough.

2 |3000

gabriele-rossi answered ·

I'm using just the one I have for now but will eventually get a balancer for each string.

I have a power in bus bar, I guess the positive and negative from the balancer can go straight to the bars yes?

Do I fuse 30A close to the positive bus bar?

Mid point of course I just interconnect all the negatives in the middle all the way down to last string.

Something like this for the fuse could do?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/384781537186?hash=item5996c44fa2:g:uzgAAOSwFK1fZWzJ&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA8EQt3unERtOf2a%2FPIy2l1Kg1NZ459leLNNWuSF%2FzsCmdGLmyRNjCptRIodBO3mUn%2FyIdWJLL2Ilbx8HfA8cx8ArO93WzyDRdMsSKmyN%2B%2FWRL%2BxgjpbPXBZju28Hu6AoQcayisnR3b7AyAUW9tlk4p0HaDcMy5%2BHcBNSLB%2BQdO91kHPDMsdS4zC5ctyOFkWuGv34kJAjRJuYUM1VtpIKMLabDdiy6j%2FO%2BuGQ7swkcJJacJdH8oYIuVM%2F3mtLpw87vYmzg9u%2BZZ5kH1L7dC1gITMzKb7691zPQRV7E8Vkhs63iuL%2By1KurrL8Aqq0pVAY6Fg%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBM2KD_zvZg

I like the idea to have it on a breaker if needed to be turned off.

Thanks for your time champs

5 comments
2 |3000

ludo avatar image ludo commented ·

No, at the end of the balancing the current is Zero, so you'll have no voltage drops over the wires anyway.

1 Like 1 ·
gabriele-rossi avatar image gabriele-rossi ludo commented ·
makes sense, thanks buddy
2 Likes 2 ·
ludo avatar image ludo commented ·

Sure, but again, check the wiring and fuse size with the provided manual.

0 Likes 0 ·
gabriele-rossi avatar image gabriele-rossi ludo commented ·
Manual suggests 10A so i might just get one of those and put it on the positive close t the bus bar. Do positive and negative wire need to match the lenght of the mid point one (adding them up)?

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ gabriele-rossi commented ·
Balancer checks voltage between high voltage and mid point, and low /zero) voltage and mid point. Key thing is that the resistance on the three legs needs to be as close to identical as is practical. As the current is low, small differences won't make much difference.

On the fuses, fuse for cable size. Preferably all three legs identically.

0 Likes 0 ·
gabriele-rossi answered ·

Do I need to fuse in between each string in the mid point or just one fuse on the positive to bus bar?

I'm still confused on where the fuse go and if I could do without

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Best do all
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic