question

mr-big avatar image
mr-big asked

Phoenix 1200VA inverter and microwave

We have the Victron 1200VA phoenix inverter and are trying to run a 1000watt LG 'inverter microwave.' The microwave runs, lights and turntable, but the magnatron only comes on maybe half the time. We run the microwave at 600watts, and my understanding is the 'inverter microwave' ought to be running the magnatron at low watts. Even at 200watts there is the same problem. Even if the microwave is momentarily demanding start up power the Victron ought to be able to supply 2000watts then a continuous 900w? Has anyone ideas to help us get this working? Warm up the Victron? Reset the voltage to 240? Thanks, Martin

Phoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

A 1200VA inverter is less than 1000W. So it is too small.

edit: missed the inverter micro bit. That should pull less power but constantly, but what it actually uses is not necessarily the same as the microwave rating.

For example my 1000W microwave actually pulls 1600W.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

I have a Multi Compact 1600,and it will just run the very cheapest/basic 700w microwave from a big box store.

It takes about 1100w from the multi to run @ 700w output. I would not expect an 1200w inverter to be able to power it.

You have an inverter modulated microwave oven. It is likely to do all sorts of stuff modulate the output power, that would not make a small inverter happy.

I foresee a larger inverter in your xmas shopping ;).

2 |3000

mr-big avatar image
mr-big answered ·

Thanks, I have talked to LG and it seems the microwave demands full power on startup, they wont say what this is but up around 1600w I guess, then the lower power cooking kicks in. We bought the inverter microwave on advice that they will run on a low power inverter when set to low power. Oh well. Strange that it cooks sometimes and not others and I was hoping for some genius tweak saving me from the expense of a bigger inverter. The smallest power normal microwave I can find is 700 watts, with stated input power of 1300watts.

2 |3000