question

khaem avatar image
khaem asked

Phoenix Inverters 12/375 and Security Cut-off

Hello, for a mobile application i use a Phoenix inverter 12/375.

It's connected to a VENUS GX which is connected to a Multiplus 48/3000 (the new one).

In this new car/van, the alternator always change the battery charging voltage. 80% of time it's more than 14v, but sometimes and it never last too longs (few second) the voltage go down near 12v.

Problem : i have configured the battery low cut-off to 12V, because it's the vehicule main battery and i don't want to discharge it. So Phoenix each time voltage goes down to 12v cut the inverter.

My question : Can i configure a timer in the phoenix to say it : if and only if the entry voltage goes down more than 30/60s than you cut the inverter. (you don't cut it if you have 11,8v for 1second for example)

I hope i was clear.

Thanks ;)

Best regards,

Emmanuel

Phoenix InverterBattery Protectvoltagealternator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Emmanuel. Take a look at the Dynamic Cut-off feature of your Phoenix. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.direct:phoenix-inverters-dynamic-cutoff

It doesn't work exactly like you envisage, but was probably put in place to help deal with just such issues..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

khaem avatar image
khaem answered ·

Hello JohnC, i have seen the Dynamic Cuf-off, but it doesn't work when you have another load connected to the same battery.

Thanks anyway ;)

2 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

Ok, understood. But it might get you part-way there. With a separate 48V system you could also look at an Orion 48/12 or an ac 12V charger to boost your 12V 'starter' batt. Or even a separate 12V batt to run the 12/ inverter. You've likely a few options to consider.

With the 48/3000, do you really need it anyway?

0 Likes 0 ·
khaem avatar image khaem JohnC ♦ commented ·

I unfortunately no longer have the space to put an intermediate battery.

I don't know why the voltage of the alternator fluctuates so much ...

My 48V system behind with the Multiplus is adjusted to the best, I can not put less.

If I understand the different possibilities available to me:

- set this Phoenix tempo to more than 30s to not shut down the inverter
- add "more" compatible protection with my install and disable the protection of the Phoenix
- take energy after the 48/12v converter, that I already have, to reinject it into the main battery when the engine runs (and so always stay above 12.00v) ...

other ideas?

0 Likes 0 ·
ripper avatar image
ripper answered ·

I have essentially the same problem, but I can live with it since it tries to restart after 30 seconds and if the voltage is good it does. Charging of appliances i then intermittent but it doesnt matter. Does it need to be on continously for you? A different approach would be using a relay with ignition on to switch the remote. Then it switches on and shuts off when you turn the key in the ignition which is kinda whats happening if you dont want to drain the vehicle battery.

1 comment
2 |3000

khaem avatar image khaem commented ·

Hello @ripper, thank you for your idea.

You're right : it's possible to take the signal of ignition to switch a relay to power or not the Phoenix inverter.

The problem of shut-off and restart occurs when it does so several times in succession that it puts the Multiplus in a "Fault" State...

The "Multiplus" doesn't support too much start/stop.

In my mind, the simplest way would be to be able to program the phoenix, so no need for other equipment ...

Thanks,

best regards,

Emmanuel

0 Likes 0 ·
khaem avatar image
khaem answered ·

Hello guys,

I think i have solved my problem with the Smart Battery Protect :

- it is fully programmable

- it "wait" 90 seconds before cut off the output.

now, it runs normaly...

thanks for your help !

Regards,

Emmanue

2 |3000

Related Resources