question

henk-rademeyer avatar image
henk-rademeyer asked

multiplus 2 using both grid and generator AC!

Good day all,

I have a Multiplus 2 ESS system connected to a DB that has manual a transfer switch between generator and Utility. (Generator use is very little)

I recently had to use my backup generator to charge battery but was unable.

(I now know it was due to grid code etc.)

my question is why cant a user accessible function not be made that will change settings like LOM and weak ac, etc. when generator is selected or triggered via input to accept generator power and then when generator is off and grid back all settings will revert to grid settings?

also would it be an accepted approach to save different settings on VE configure (one Grid and one generator) and upload to multi if I need to use generator and the re upload to go back to grid?

Multiplus-IIESSGeneratorfeature request
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Henk Rademeyer

It's possible to use that file-swapping suggestion, although Victron have long suggested fresh files. Change the name of each one so you don't get confused. Some setting changes will prompt a reboot of the Multi, so you'll have to live with that if it applies.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Henk Rademeyer

The grid code change issue can also be a legal one as well when related to ESS in some countries.

If it is not in yours, then your agent/supplier should be able to help you there.

The Quattro is the preferred device for 2 inputs. Or having a bypass on the system for emergency use, then the inverter in charger mode should connect with a little less fuss to the generator.

Other option is to have a pretty decent genset.

2 |3000

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

This is why a quattro is the preferred way of doing that.

1 comment
2 |3000

henk-rademeyer avatar image henk-rademeyer commented ·
Quattro is better but not necessarily an cost effective way as people cannot necessarily afford the jump form multiplus to quattro or already have a multiplus and need to easily switch in emergency to genorator supply
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MultiPlus Generator FAQ

GX - Generator auto start/stop

Automatic Generator start/stop

Hybrid Generators

Virtual switch - Generator start/stop

MultiPlus-II Product page 

MultiPlus-II Manual

MultiPlus-II 230V Datasheet 

VE.Bus Error codes

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual

The feature requests topic tag can help Victron R&D find feature suggestions for products. 

There are many factors that go into the Victron product roadmap, and feedback from end-users can help.