question

ako avatar image
ako asked

Battery balancer on 4 x 6 volt batteries

I have 4 x 6 volt AGM batteries wired in series to provide 24 volts , my batteries are now 9 months old and considering a Victron Battery Balancer but i I have a few questions . Is it worth me fitting one now as my batteries are no longer new . A website i found shows one is required for each pair of batteries so i would require 2 units , is this correct . Would they still perform with cables between 1.5 and 2 meters long providing the cables were all identical lengths . Do they produce much heat . I found thi now but can see how it could possibly work when the connections from it go to a set of batteries that are al interconnected , how could it provide extra current to any individual or even pair of batteries , could someone please explain what might appear simple to them but illogical to me .

screenhunter-130.png

This is what i have at the moment so not sure if i will be able to use the Victron Banancer

Battery Balancer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

Even though your batteries are not new, installing a battery balancer may prolong their life. The longer they are in use, the wider an inballance between them may get. The issue I can see is that the balancer you referenced is designed for 2 batteries in series and not 4. If you used 2 of them between 2 series sets, you would still not be balancing between the sets. I am not very familiar with the victron balancers and wether they can talk to each other in order to properly balance the entire series string. If that is not a feature that they are capable of, then you need to find a balancer that is designed for a 4s application. You should be able to find something on the fleabay or the jungle website.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @AKO

The need for a balancer is somewhat subjective. I use 8x 6V batts as 48V, so I'd need 3x balancers. But I chose to go with a Smartshunt and use the midpoint monitoring. If I found deviation enough to require balancing then I'd know I had a serious issue anyway. And the balancers mightn't be so useful with a dud cell anyway. This is what I see on a normal day..

1663760290187.png

A little imbalance under charge, but all settles down. At worst ~0.1V, and these are >5yo fla's. From previous posts I see you have all the options to have VRM, and I suggest you could consider doing the same. All the alarms etc available just to monitor rather than actively balance. And the day I see the alarm at least one cell will be a goner. Balancers can't fix that.

1663760290187.png (44.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic