Unknown issue with split-phase (2x Quattro) - Overload

Hello everybody,

I have a split-phase system with the following components:

- 2x Quattro 48/3000-35

- Smart Solar 150/70

- Cerbo GX (with internet access)

- Lynx Shunt, Lynx Power In, Lynx Distributor

- Battery: 1x BYD LVL 15.4

I installed/wired the system myself around 3 months ago, and as of now I've been using it exclusively to power a 240v well pump (3/4 times /month). It's been great, everything worked absolutely fine up until a couple of weeks ago.

I noticed that inverter L1 was making some "random" noises. This is what I mean:

- the noise is similar to the noise it makes while inverting (when the pump is on, but it would normally be both L1 and L2 making the same noise...)

- it comes and suddenly goes, even if there is absolutely no charge whatsoever (like an "interference")

- it happens while L2 is silent and cold

- when it makes the noise, L1 is warm to the touch, just like when it's inverting but it isn't

I tried to update the firmware on both inverters (it's 497 now) and re-configured the split phase through the Quick Config Tool, but the problem persists. Consider that I got absolutely no errors from the VRM, nor I was able to find any error inside the Remote Console.

Today I tried to run a small washing machine with just L1 (120v) and it went Overload and cut the power. I tried with L2, but L1 would still go Overload and cut the power automatically.

(I know I should use the Autotrasformer, but I was just making some tests)

This is what I see inside the Alarm Logs (VRM):

schermata-2022-09-14-alle-34547-pm.png

As of now, the system is idle, meaning that the battery is 100% full and there are no charges, and L1 is still making this noise (sometimes!). Wiring stops right after the two inverters, nothing is actually connected to them apart from a breaker which is turned off.

I don't understand what it could be, considering that the system is almost brand new and it's been working perfectly for the past months.

These are the settings for BOTH inverters:

ve-quick-installation.png

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

Any help would be appreciated! I can definitely grant access to the VRM portal.

I hope I made a stupid mistake inside the configurations, otherwise I'd be worried.

Thank you!

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargersplit phase
1.png (203.7 KiB)
2.png (198.3 KiB)
3.png (175.5 KiB)
4.png (207.7 KiB)
5.png (210.7 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
jeroen-kuijf avatar image
jeroen-kuijf answered ·

Good morning Nico,

I run split-phase now 9 years, a bit different than yours.

I have seen that your ground relay is active, why?

I think that you can switch it off, sometimes on the Neutral is 5-10V, maybe that helps.

Did you run this pump also from the grid?

I see that you can connect to the grid, but the grid is NOT 180 degrees, between 2 grid phases you have 120 degrees, did you thick the box in bus config "L2 floating with return to original phase".

Did you check the rotation of the grid, L1/L2/L3 clockwise rotation, and the master is connected to L1, and the slave to L2?

Take all the power cables off the output of both inverters, switch on the grid, measure rotation of the grid, put the inverters on passthru, then measure; master L1 , slave L2 on the outputs, and the L3 of the grid, should then also indicate clockwise rotation.

Measure what voltage of both inverters produce on their outputs, if one fails, check for the fuses inside, if any, lots of models do not have fuses.

Now measure the cabling you took off without the pump switched to "on", resistance should be endless between any wire, now switch on the pump (it will not start, no power), both resistance from the 2 phases to earth should be the same, if very close to zero your pump most probable is gone.

How and to where did you connect the neutrals from the inverters?

Because when you run your washing on L2 and nothing is connected to L1, L1 goes in overload?

Did you hammer a earth spike and did you measure it actually makes earth or do you use the earth from the net?

Do you use any assistants? no, as I see you use the Virtual switch inverted?, are you really use virtual switch and how is it configured?

Greetz, Jeroen.

VRM, www.quintacasadafonte.com , Portugal.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jeroen-kuijf avatar image
jeroen-kuijf answered ·

Good morning again Nico,

What is the firmware you have put in? You say 497, are you sure you have a big processor?

2751-497 is for big processor (newest model) and 2051-209 is for small processor (older model).

Just asking.

Greetz, Jeroen.

VRM, www.quintacasadafonte.com , Portugal.

2 |3000