question

carlom avatar image
carlom asked

How is Consumption calculated on the VRM Dashboard

Is the consumption shown on the dashboard the total consumption or does it exclude those circuit breakers not backed-up?

VRMVEConfigure 3
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·

Sorry I dont understand your question

does it exclude those circuit breakers not backed-up?

0 Likes 0 ·
Edgar Graadt van Roggen avatar image Edgar Graadt van Roggen commented ·

Hi there,

I have a related question regarding the consumption data shown on the VRM dashboard. If I select the ¨System Overview¨Tab, the kWh shown in the "From Grid" box (837 kWh) is different than the kWh (768 kWh) shown in the "From Grid" box when I click on the "Consumption" tab. Why is there a difference? Which (between the two) would be the real kWh drawn from the grid, i.e. supplied by the electricity company?

Just as an explanation, prior to October, my system functioned just as a UPS connected to the grid. In October I installed solar panels and since then I have gone off-grid.

Best regards,

Edgarscreen-shot-2020-12-21-at-183437.pngscreen-shot-2020-12-21-at-183423.png

0 Likes 0 ·
Teun Lassche avatar image Teun Lassche ♦ Edgar Graadt van Roggen commented ·

Hi,

On the consumption tab, all energy from the grid to consumers is summed in the 'From grid' box.

On the 'System Overview' tab the 'From grid' contains all the energy from the grid to consumers and from the grid to the battery.

I can understand that this is a little vague and I'll see what I can do to improve that. But now you at least know why the values are different.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Teun Lassche ♦ commented ·

@Edgar Graadt van Roggen

Under the consumption data, 886kwh is what your house loads wired through the victron has used/consumed and from what source. Usually it is the total added from grid solar and battery.

768 + 71 + 48 = 887. Slightly different but may be rounding related or something... Not sure there.

Each figure shows what directly powered your loads.

In the system overview it is a bit different as totals used not allocated to where they went. So comparing the two for instance on the solar you produced 154 and using the consumption data you directly consumed 48 so the balance probably went to charging up the battery. Some other 'missing' power figures can be accounted for in losses from heat or power factor.

0 Likes 0 ·
PeterM avatar image PeterM Alexandra ♦ commented ·

How is consumption between energy meter at Grid connection and before a Victron Multi handled?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@CarloM

Sorry for a really late reply.

Basically if it is not wired electrically through the Victron it is not counted. Some people separate out circuits in their db so their vrm stats only show what was produced and consumed in those specific circuits.

For instance a 3kva can be set to only run all the lights and a plug point for the TV and fridge.

The house consumes 40kwh of power (according to the power providers meter) and the circuits chosen will be about 6 or 7kwh. This counted by the victron itself.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Edgar Graadt van Roggen avatar image
Edgar Graadt van Roggen answered ·

Dear Teun and Alexandra, thank you for clarifying this issue.

2 |3000

Related Resources