question

meester1-de avatar image
meester1-de asked

Charging setup for LiFePo4 and Lead Acid: ArgoFET and/or Orion Tr Smart

I have three Lead Acid battery banks installed on my boat (house bank, starter battery, bow thruster battery) which are charged by the alternator (let's only focus on the alternator and ignore other chargers)

All three battery banks shall be strictly separated which is done with an ArgoFET (B+ --> ArgoFET --> 3 Battery banks).

Now I want to replace the house bank by a LiFePo4 battery. In order to protect the alternator from overheating I am planning to insert an Orion Tr Smart between the ArgoFET and the LiFePo4 battery. A great solution for me, because it's a minimal change in wiring.

In other forums I've read that this solution might not work out, because the hungry LiFePo4 will draw all the current from the alternator with the Lead Acid batteries left with next to nothing. What do you guys think, is this correct?

An alternative could be to connect the starter battery directly to the alternator, and to charge the LiFePo4 and the bow thruster (LA) battery via two separate Orions from there. But shouldn't the problem with the hungry LiFePo4 occur there as well?

Are there good reasons why this is the better setup? Well, for me it means more work and more cost.

Or is there another solution that is even better?

Regards

Christian

Lithium Batteryorion-tr smartalternatorArgo FET Diode
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
procyon avatar image
procyon answered ·

Ich habe eine ähnliche Konstellation, allerdings die Hausbank nicht durch LiFePo4 ersetzt, sondern ergänzt. Das heißt, die LiFePo4 wurden neben der Hausbank installiert und geben ihren Strom über ein Orion smart 12/12/18 an die Hausbank weiter. Ihrerseits werden die LifePo4 durch ein weiteres Orion smart geladen. Das Orion, dass die Hausbank füttert ist auf 12,8 V eingestellt. Das Orion, das die LiFePo4 lädt auf 13,8. Die Orion geben nie mehr Strom ab als ihre Nennleistung. So schützt das Orion das die LiFePo4 füttert die Lichtmaschine.

Mit dieser Installation habe ich den Vorteil einer sehr sicheren Hausstromversorgung (über die auch die Navigation läuft) über die ausfallsichere Bleibatterien. Soweit die Hausbank nur aus LiFePo4 besteht wäre ich auf die störungsfreie Arbeit der BMS angewiesen. Wenn man im Netz forscht wundert man sich wie oft die BMS ausfallen. An Bord bedeutet das unter Umständen einen Blackout. Das ist mit tatsächlich selbst passiert, weshalb ich die beschrieben Lösung gewählt habe.

BG

Peter

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sweyn avatar image
sweyn answered ·

Orions solve the “hungry LiFepO4” issue by controlling/modulating the voltage and current draw.

2 comments
2 |3000

meester1-de avatar image meester1-de commented ·
well, since I'm going to use an Orion anyway, the "hungry LiFePo4" issue shoudn't be an issue at all, right? So B+ --> ArgoFET --> Orion --> LiFePo4 should work as fine as B+ --> Starter Battery --> Orion --> LiFePo4 would?
0 Likes 0 ·
procyon avatar image procyon meester1-de commented ·
Ja, das "hungrige LiFePo4" wird mit dem Orion beseitigt...
0 Likes 0 ·
meester1-de avatar image
meester1-de answered ·
Moin Peter, guter Punkt. Die Idee halte ich auf jeden Fall im Hinterkopf.

Aber auch da stellt sich die Frage, ob die Kombination ArgoFET und Orion gegebüber der Lösung nur mit den Orions einen spürbaren Nachteil hat.

2 |3000

meester1-de avatar image
meester1-de answered ·

Well, no more opinions? Then I think I'll give it a try and go for the minimally invasive solution (B+ --> ArgoFET --> Orion --> LiFePo4). If it does not work I still can get rid of my beloved ArgoFET and go for the second solution (2 Orion's)...

2 |3000