question

adam-martin avatar image
adam-martin asked

Need sanity check on Victron Orion-Tr + Smart Shunt wiring please

Hello, I'm still a newbie and drinking from the firehose. I'm also now on a timecrunch for the start of my project and since I can no longer procrastinate it's time to dive in head first. General idea is a 12v LFP house battery inside the truck cab + Victron Orion-Tr 12|12-30 Non-Isolated to charge at 30A + Victron 500A Smart Shunt to watch my loads (and for the future). LFP battery will likely be an SOK 100Ah for now only because I'm out of time - not terrible but not what I wanted, future plans will be something different.

Looking to get a sanity check on my wiring plan so I don't have a bad bad day. Also so I don't burn down my truck. Made a quick wiring diagram below - does this look correct? I may have missed adding some fuses/breakers on the 12v ports/loads and will probably add those in the actual build.

Thanks for any help to point me in the right direction!

2022-09-07-19-21-08-window.png

Lithium BatterySmartShuntorion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Adam Martin

There are a few mistakes with your diagram.

I have done a rough correction,

1) you had the shunt the wrong way around - this picture makes it clearer which terminal needs to be connected to the battery (the one closes to the VBatt+ socket, and which to the system (loads/charger) (the one closes to the VE.Direct port).

This wouldn't have caused any damage but the count would be backwards.

cleanshot-2022-09-08-at-121205.jpg

2)

You had the Aux connection connected to the battery negative of the starter battery. Now I am presuming that you want to use this as the 2nd battery voltage monitor, like in this example;

cleanshot-2022-09-08-at-121108.jpg

So it needs to be connected to the positive terminal.

3) You also had the positive Vbatt+ connected to the positive of the 2nd battery, this should be connected to the positive of the main battery that you wish to monitor state of charge (your lithium battery).

I've made a few assumptions in there so I could be wrong, but this is how I think your system should be wired;

cleanshot-2022-09-08-at-121559.jpg

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

adam-martin avatar image
adam-martin answered ·

Thanks very much @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) , this was very helpful!

Yes, your assumptions about what I am trying to do are correct. It was my fault for being unclear and less than precise in my diagram but you still understood my general idea so that is great. I have since cleaned up my drawing and learned more about how to more easily make the lines which has saved me much time. Again thank you!

Now I wait for the FedEx person to deliver the modules...

2022-09-07-23-00-56-window.png

2 |3000