question

aidancoughlan avatar image
aidancoughlan asked

Victron IP22 Charger Schuko UK Plug Variants - do they both have 3-core cables ?

The IP22 comes in UK/Schuko and IEC variants. I can't seem to find any information to say if the Schuko variant (the round plug with two pins) has only 2 cores in the AC cable to the Charger. The local retailer only has the SCHUKO variant, but thinks there may possibly be only two cores, but that the UK variant would have three.

Does anybody know if the cables have three cores - even on the SCHUKO plug variant ?

bluesmart ip22
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
@aidancoughlan

I've corrected your spelling of Schuko. Will help others find it.
0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
goboatingnow avatar image
goboatingnow answered ·

Whether a device has an earth pin /wire has nothing to do with the plug on the end. If it requires earthing then Schuko plug will have the earth connected , equally so will the U.K. one.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

aidancoughlan avatar image
aidancoughlan answered ·

Thank you very much. That is what I assumed/hoped. I guess it stands to reason. However, the marine retailer selling it wasn't sure that there would be three cores - he led me to believe there *might* be only two, and that (in Europe) there was sometimes a different approach for low current appliances, earthing/grounding the case to the engine block on the boat.

Hopefully you are right, and I can just cut the plug off and either replace it with a UK 3-pin plug, or wire it up directly.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

There's a good article here, has pics of the full plug under safety features.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuko

You can also buy Schuko to UK adapters.

0 Likes 0 ·
k-k avatar image
k-k answered ·

Look at the approvalsigns on your device. If you find the "double quadrat" its an (de: doppelt Schutzisoliert) double protection isolation -> you might find a schuko-look-alike plug -> 2 round for live & neutral without the 2 flat fins on the side -> the cable will be 2 core. Having a "real" schuko-plug (2 round AND 2 sidefins) you should have a 3 core cable, because that indicates the device must be grounded, that happens with PE (green-yellow) connect to the sidefins.

2 |3000