question

aevanhook avatar image
aevanhook asked

Charging 3 12v batteries with Orion 12/12-18 and Argofet 100-3

I have a boat/outboard application with a 12v lithium starting battery and separate 3 -12v lithium battery (36v series) bank. Goal is to charge 3 bat bank with alternator through starting battery. Alternator is 35-55 amp total (rpm variable with 10 amp motor usage)that currently charges start battery only. Examining using Orion Smart12/12-18 Isolated charger with input connected to start battery and output connected to ArgoFET 100-3 3 battery isolator with identical wiring connections to 3 batteries. (Would prefer the 12/12-30 but concerned about overload on alternator) . 12/12-18 would limit alternator load to 20-22 actual amps,and Orion Input voltage lockout would be set at 13.6v.

I currently charge all four batteries with 120v/12 60 amp 4 bank (15) charger 3S+1 but would like to utilize boat alternator while under power and take advantage of Victron Bluetooth and monitoring features. If this would work I would switch house charging to single Blue Smart IP67 120v-12v-25amp charger for compatibility.

I like not find any previous posts that addressed this specific situation. There devices out there that do this but they do not provide monitoring features and work around the issues other ways.

orion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
dc4me avatar image
dc4me answered ·

If your outboard has an alternator and the output is as stated, I would not try to charge a battery bank like you are wanting to. First of all as soon as the alternator heats up the output would diminish greatly. Therefore the possibility of suppling the Orion with enough amps is probably not going to be enough. You would be really pushing your outboard alternator to do what your are asking.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

aevanhook avatar image aevanhook commented ·
Thanks for the response. I would be curious to confirm whether the noted system would actually work properly from a configuration standpoint then see, to your point, at what level the alternator could handle it. There are many 200-300hp outboard boats now using on board what they call “charge on the run” devices that dont seem to limit engine amperage. The Victron equipment has some features that are appealing.
0 Likes 0 ·
dc4me avatar image dc4me aevanhook commented ·

I would be interested to know if all works. I am not an electrical expert but have first hand experience with an alternator charging a large house bank on a sailboat. Monitoring a 120A alternator and seeing the temps and output of the alternator one can understand the damage that could happen with the demand of the task your are wanting. This is with a well known high output alternator with an external regulator and forced air cooling the alternator. I don't know what your alternator is capable of and what kind of regulation it has but being in an outboard I know they are not designed to charge a moderate size battery bank with very low resistance of the Lithium batteries. And I have not forgot you are wanting to use the 18 amp Orion. Just thinking of the load of the 3 batteries plus the the starting bank is cause for concern. I would look into asking the maker of the outboard as to what they think. I know outboard makers are not warranting with use of Lithium batteries. Along with the great expertise on this community, below is a forum that might help you find out the answers you are looking for. Hope all works out for you.

http://www.bbcboards.net

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources