question

mryoshii avatar image
mryoshii asked

How to increase Multiplus 2 power

Hi I have a MP2 24/3000.
It is connected to a 8S3P LiFePo4 battery.
Now I would like to run an air conditioner in the summer. But this is beyond the power limit of the MP2.
Now I ask myself the question whether I should buy a new MP2 24/5000 or another MP2 24/3000 and connect this parallel.

What would you do?

Multiplus-IImultiplus in parallelHelp
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

You can do either, just a bit more complex to wire parallel systems.

When power requirements increase ideally you want to try get to a 48V system, so personally I would aim for a 48V 5kVA MP2, depending how challenging it is for you to adapt your battery pack.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Just to add, the units need to be identical for parallel ops, so it may depend how old your current multi is.
0 Likes 0 ·
mryoshii avatar image
mryoshii answered ·

@nickdb thanks for the quick reply.

An upgrade to 48V would be extremely expensive. Since I would have to upgrade 2x MPPT since I have 2x 100/50 MPPTs. In addition, I would have to get 8 cells for the battery and a new MP2. The question is whether this is worth the extra cost.

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
You're at 24V for 6kVA which is fine, 48V is just a nice to have. I wouldn't break the bank unless you have bigger plans in the future.
0 Likes 0 ·
denzel avatar image
denzel answered ·

I was in the same situation a few months ago, Seeing i already had 24/3000 MP it made sense for me to add a 3rd one. had not already had the 2 units i would have certainly went 48V units. It becomes less complex and more efficient at 48V

2 |3000

mryoshii avatar image
mryoshii answered ·

Ok you also did not change to 48V because it was just too expensive?

If I would go paralel how can I find the right device?

Victron PMP242305010 Multiplus-II 24/3000/70-32A
This looks from the specs the same as mine.

1 comment
2 |3000

denzel avatar image denzel commented ·

The best way to confirm the number found on the chip eg: 2610XXX . Open the lid of the victron inverter and confirm the chip number . If the chip is 2610XXX then you need find an inverter with the same spec as your and the chip 2610XXX. This will ensure both your inverters can go to firmware 4XX which is required for parallel systems.

0 Likes 0 ·