question

jeanmarie avatar image
jeanmarie asked

Ethernet and wifi access CerboGX to VRM and external ressources

Hi community ;)

After installing my system I connected my Cerbo GX to my wifi network and linked it to my VRM portal and was very happy to find that everything was automatically detected (including my Fronius inverter, wired over ethernet to my network) and was communicating smoothly.

After this 1st commissioning, I changed to static IP addresses as else, when the router was restarting and new addresses assigned, some communication wasn't reestablished automatically. This was easily done and everything continues working fine between Cerbo, VRM and Fronius.

Now I'm trying a new step which is to switch my Cerbo to wired instead of wireless (supposed to be more reliable), and this is the point were I'm in trouble with my Victron device and portal. Before to start with detail, all links (Wifi or Eth.) are up and running fine, I can access the console through any of the links

- when trying with Ethernet link (disconnecting the Wifi network), my CerboGX loose the link to fronius and VRM is also loosing the link to CerboGX : I still have access to the console remotely by typing the Cerbo's IP but VRM doesn't log any data

- with both links on, it works for VRM but Fronius is not reconnected automatically when it restarts by sunrise, I have to disconnect ethernet link to make Cerbo and fronius communicating again

Question if anybody already experienced that:

1) can CerboGX works only with an ethernet link?

2) case yes, how to get my installation back to work when removing wifi connection?

3) Is there some detail I forget (by each attempt I always make a reboot of the CerboGX) or is this a bug?

Thank you in advance for your help

cerbo gxVRMFroniuswifiethernet
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
jeanmarie avatar image
jeanmarie answered ·

Ok I got it, it's my problem

CPL link seems to be too weak and allows IP connection but not DHCP transaction.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Before to start with detail, all links (Wifi or Eth.) are up and running fine, I can access the console through any of the links

Are you sure you are accessing it through the UTP cable, too?

Are you directly typing the LAN IPs or are you using http://venus.local?

2 |3000

jeanmarie avatar image
jeanmarie answered ·

Hi Seb71,

I'm accessing both channels through local IP addresses, yes

and both are returning the configuring console

2 |3000

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·
It should just work with the UTP cable. If the router has DHCP, you should not need to configure anything in Cerbo. Just plug the UTP cable.

The WiFi is from the same router, I assume.

2 |3000

jeanmarie avatar image
jeanmarie answered ·

it's a local flat network with Wifi repeaters and CPL links.

Most of my devices are with fixed IP addresses not overlapping to the DHCP scope of addresses.

I don't have any trouble accessing the CerboGX straight either through ethernet or through wifi, the problem I have, as explained in my case above, is the following

if I connect my cerboGX through ethernet only, VRM online menu is showing the followingcapture-du-2022-07-18-17-08-07.pngand no more data are collected from VRM beside the fact that I also loose the link to the fronius inverter present on my network despite both device are accessible from my network (.206 is the cerboGX and .204 the Fronius)traceroute.png

2 comments
2 |3000

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

So that UTP cable is plugged on one end in the router LAN port and the other end in the Cerbo LAN port?

Or something different than this (other devices in-between)?

-------

From that error, could be some DNS-related issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
jeanmarie avatar image jeanmarie seb71 commented ·

Settings are identical between Wifi and ethernet (except for IP address)

Should anything different than router address be set for DNS when configuring IP in manual ?

0 Likes 0 ·
jeanmarie avatar image
jeanmarie answered ·

And just to confirm after new attempt made right now

- with only ethernet : no VRM portal link (err#153) and no fronius link

- with ethernet and wifi : VRM contact is back but not fronius link

- with only wifi : VRM and fronius are ok

2 |3000

jeanmarie avatar image
jeanmarie answered ·

I'm progressing with my problem, not yet solved, but progressing ;) :

I found out (thanks to the console that is updated in real time) that

- For DNS, yes router address can be used (this is the address that is assigned when working with DHCP)

- With DHCP, wifi link is ok, but the ethernet link stay blocked in the status "retrieving IP address".

I will investigate to bypass the CPL in order to see if the responsible for the ethernet link could be found because local link to the CErbo is respectively

Router - CPL - CPL - CerboGX for Ethernet

and

Router - CPL - CPL - Switch - Wifi repeater - Wifi repeater - CerboGX for Wifi

2 |3000