question

larseson avatar image
larseson asked

Smartshunt shows different than MPPT and clamp meter

Smartsolar MPPT 100/30 shows maximum 30 amps.
At the same time the Smartshunt 500/50 shows 28,5 amps. Is it a way to have the shunt adjusted to show the correct amps ?
It is a standalone installation. 
SmartShunt
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Screenshots would be helpful.

You mentioned a clampmeter? Post a photo regarding readings.

0 Likes 0 ·
6 Answers
larseson avatar image
larseson answered ·

picture showing that MPPT and clamp meter shows approx 30 and shunt 28,5eb196168-31a0-4bc0-9a4f-18a209b6568b.jpeg

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
I guess that the lug that is on top of the neg bus goes to a parallel battery?

I think that the SBS bat neg lug should be relocated. Re surface area.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

The MPPT reading (30A) and the clampmeter reading (29.7A) are pretty close. I an assuming the clampmeter is on a MPPT battery wire.

The current exiting the MPPT charger might go to power some loads, not necesarilly to charge the battery. So some or all of it might not pass through the shunt. That's actually the main reason to buy a SmartShunt/BMV.

2 |3000

larseson avatar image
larseson answered ·

@klim8skeptic I think you are right about the neg lug of the SBS. I relocated it now immediately. It did not change anything. ( I guess the load of the SBS is negligible )

@Seb71 The only load in the system is an inverter. During these tests the cable to it is disconnected. So there is no load connected.

1 comment
2 |3000

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

You also have a big lug there (that's the one klim8skeptic asked about). What is that?

0 Likes 0 ·
larseson avatar image
larseson answered ·

@Seb71 The big lug goes to a parallell battery. I have 2 LiFePO4 100 Ah in parallell.

2 |3000

larseson avatar image
larseson answered ·

Is this amount of inaccuracies what I should expect from Victron Energy devices ? Want to know for future projects.

2 |3000

larseson avatar image
larseson answered ·

Being frustrated that the shunt show to little amps, I have now fixed it. I really think it is bad that the accuracy was so bad.

How I fixed it. I used a file on the shunt to little by little take away metall until it shows the correct current. You should not have to do it this way but now all reading are the same.

2 |3000