question

br3tto avatar image
br3tto asked

Wiring Orion Non-Iso, MPPT and BMV712

Hi everyone,

I have had a good look on here and various other places and seem to have come up short about how I should be wiring the Orion-Tr 12/12-30 Non isolated, MPPT 75/15 and the BMV 712 together.

I understand how to wire each of the components individually - as per the diagrams they each provide, but combining them seems to have me questioning myself. I have drawn the attached picture of how I believe it should all go together so the BMV can monitor everything correctly but I am unsure if I have the wiring diagram correct. Can someone please vet this and let me know if I have missed something/got it wrong and it wont work.

Thanks for the help and potentially helping others at the same time :)

victron-wiring-diagram.jpg

MPPT ControllersBMV Battery Monitororion-tr smartwiringwiring diagram
1657024300785.png (2.6 MiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

br3tto avatar image br3tto commented ·

@Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) I see you have been marked as following this question and have extensive knowledge being Victron Staff and with your Wiring Unlimited book. Is your take the same as Trevor and myself (with the above diagram it should all work correctly)?

0 Likes 0 ·
andy13 avatar image andy13 br3tto commented ·

Hello , can you help please. I’ve the same set up with the negatives from the dc to dc charger and mppt going to a bus bar then to the shunt. The shunt then goes to ground. The issue i have is that the reading on the bmv is ok when charging but not ok when discharging. I know there is an issue because i can check the SOC charge ou the battery by bluetooth. thanks for your help.

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
Sten avatar image
Sten answered ·

Earth should go to the load side of the shunt, not the battery side.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

In that case, would it still read when the Orion would be charging?
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ br3tto commented ·

Excuse my ruffness, dont forget the fuses.

orion-iso-bmv.png

1 Like 1 ·
orion-iso-bmv.png (783.6 KiB)
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ br3tto commented ·
Yes.

With your suggestion, it's possible for other consumers to bypass the shunt and cause wrong current/state of charge readings. Also there will be a small voltage difference across the shunt which will affect battery voltage readings.

1 Like 1 ·
br3tto avatar image br3tto kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the help!
0 Likes 0 ·
Sorry, I should have also said that the shunt only reads the negative current. The positive connections are only for voltage. Hope this makes it clearer.
1 Like 1 ·
Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

That looks good to me.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
See comment from @Sten
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Ideally connection 1 on the smart shunt should go direct to the battery, not via the Orion.

2 comments
2 |3000

Is that to minimise cable volt drop which may alter results?
0 Likes 0 ·
Yes
1 Like 1 ·
Nick avatar image
Nick answered ·

Indeed as kevgermany wrote, B1 from the Shunt goes to +ve on your Lithium Battery and B2 goes to +ve on your start battery so that you can monitor both voltages.

2 |3000