question

smartsolar-usr avatar image
smartsolar-usr asked

MPPT 75|10: Should I rather connect my devices to "Load" output or to a Bus-Bar together with Battery to "Battery" output?

Hi there, I am setting up my MPPT 75|10 SmartSolar charge controller for use together with a 12V Battery and two devices that work on 12V and require about 50W in total. I am furthermore using a 110W Solar Panel (max. Voltage: 18.27V, max. current: 6.03A). Let's get to my question.

I was advised to connect my devices and the battery to the charge controller by connecting two bus bars (for + and -) to the battery output of the controller and all devices and the battery onto these bus bars. I am however now realizing that there is a Load output where I could connect my devices to. So I am wondering if I should rather connect my devices directly to "Load"? What is the advantage and disadvantage of each method? Is it safer to connect directly to Load?

An insight to this would be very much apprechiated, thanks in advance!

PS: I also understand German ;)

MPPT ControllersLithium BatterySolar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

GrĂĽsse

Firstly the load output of the MPPT allows you to set a minim battery voltage in the charge controller. At that voltage it stops the battery discharge. So it's useful for battery protection.

Up to you whether you connect loads there or to the battery.

With only two users, unless you intend to expand later, there's little point in going to the expense of busbars. Just make sure you have an isolator or removable fuse on the battery positive. And fuse the loads properly.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

David avatar image
David answered ·

There is one situation where you should not use the Load output of the Solar Controller ... where any of the loads have a momentary/initial surge.

The Load outputs have no surge capability and if you exceed the rated output the Load disconnects and you will lose all power (so a compressor fridge for example should not be connected that way for example).

2 |3000

smartsolar-usr avatar image
smartsolar-usr answered ·

Vielen Dank @kevgermany! In that case it makes more sense for me to use the load output. I don't necessarily need a busbar... it's just a way to distribute the current between the different components. I do not fully understand your suggestion of using a fuse for the battery, since it should be protected from overcurrent through the Charge Controller, or am I wrong? Would be thankful if you could elaborate on this!

3 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Ideally you need a way of disconnecting the battery without removing the leads. Good for emergencies, maintenance. Removable fuse or isolator will provide this.

Any short circuit on the positive wires to the battery will draw from the battery and so inline fuses to prevent more serious damage are a must.

0 Likes 0 ·
smartsolar-usr avatar image smartsolar-usr kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Alles klar, danke @kevgermany. Ich verwende eine 12V Batterie zusammen mit einem 75/10 Charge Controller. Könntest du mir eventuell eine spezifische Sicherung empfehlen?
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ smartsolar-usr commented ·
5.Technische Daten. Maximale Last 15A.

Normale Last bis 10A.

20A Sicherung reicht.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic