question

ftlsailor avatar image
ftlsailor asked

Isolation Transformer Frequency Conversion 230V (50Hz) <=> 115V (60Hz)

I understand that the isolation transformer can convert the voltages, but does it also alter the frequency? For example 230V (50Hz) to 120V (60Hz)? This one is important because the frequency will affect my devices that require 60Hz if they are getting 50Hz.

If the isolation transformer does not change the frequency, what can I use to change the frequency?

Isolation Tranformer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

You don't really need to change the frequency. Most 60Hz appliances will run on 50 Hz - only motor driven appliances will work a little more slowly. If you do need to change the frequency, then you need to separate the charging function from the inverter function - so all your power flows through the DC bus, always. Only other alternative is a rotary converter.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ftlsailor avatar image ftlsailor commented ·
If my inverter/charger is a Multiplus, are you saying to turn off the inverter and use a different inverter? Or turn off the pass-thru so that the shore power only powers the charger and the inverter only runs off the battery? If so, is that a configuration for the Multiplus?
0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·

Transformers do not change frequency.

As @Mike Dorsett pointed out most things will be fine with a different frequency but check your devices.

If you need frequency conversation then you will need to go
Grid -> Charger -> Battery -> Inverter -> loads.
You will need a separate Charger and inverter as the inverter can not connect to grid when outputting a different frequency than grid connection.

2 |3000

sebastianlehmann avatar image
sebastianlehmann answered ·

on a multiplus the frequqncy that enters is the one that goes out since there is a passthrough mode. but when in inverter mode then you can choose the 60hz. but the transformers can not do that. sorry

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic