question

Nat Morris avatar image
Nat Morris asked

Quattro-II 48v 8000, 10000, 15000 models coming?

Any news on larger Quattro-II models? I noticed Multiplus-II is available in 3, 5, 8, 10kVA, but the 48v Quattro-II in just 5kVA.

Multiplus-IIMultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

9 Answers
iand avatar image
iand answered ·

Undoubtedly they will be coming, but Victron always refuse to say when until they appear in the "official" price list as new models. The 2022Q3 list should be out shortly...

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

iand avatar image
iand answered ·

Also there might be a delay because the current model of MP II 8/10kVA can't be paralleled (5kVA can) and I expect this feature is essential for Quattros, so they'll need new hardware.

2 |3000

iand avatar image
iand answered ·

Q3 pricelist now has MPII available in 15kVA, but Quattro II still only 5kVA. Presumably the need for parallel operation is delaying the bigger Quattro II...

2 |3000

cruisey1987 avatar image
cruisey1987 answered ·

Any updates on this? Maybe they'll be added to the Q4 pricelist

1 comment
2 |3000

iand avatar image iand commented ·
I'm waiting too -- but my boat builder (who you'd have thought might have some advance notice, since he uses a lot of their gear) hasn't heard anything... :-(

Going by past dates, the Q4 pricelist will probably be out early next month.

1 Like 1 ·
iand avatar image
iand answered ·

2022Q4 pricelist is out, MP II 48/15000 due in November but still no bigger Quattro II... :-(

2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

It's done when it's done. It will be announced or added to the pricelist if it is ready.

Maybe due to the high demand on the MultiPlus-II the production of that has a higher priority right now.

If you need a 15kVA Quattro now (or ASAP) just use the "old" one.

4 comments
2 |3000

iand avatar image iand commented ·

The MP II (and Quattro II) 48/10000 have several big advantages over the older models; one is lower idle power consumption (38W vs. 60W -- and multiple people have reported up to 100W, including my boatbuilder), a second is much better derating with temperature (6000W vs. 4500W when hot IIRC).

Having also seen what is inside, the "old" models look less easy to maintain and -- from the POV of an electronic engineer -- have a massive and complex controller PCB built from older technology components, compared to the new models with a tiny modern PCB and maybe 10x fewer components on it -- see attached photos...

quattro-internals.png

mp-ii-48-10000.jpg

I would expect this be more reliable and have better long-term support, I know how difficult it is to maintain/stock obsolete components like the big DIP ICs on the old PCB, and I would expect at some time in the future that this would become an issue for the older models -- and I want a power system that is as future-proof as possible. This is in no way disparaging Victron or their products, but I know only too well how the electronics supply chain works, I see supply issues -- especially for older components -- all the time... ;-)

So personally speaking I would very much prefer to use a Quattro II 48/10000 not a Quattro. If this isn't available in the near future (e.g. 2023Q1) then I'd rather use an MP II 48/10000 with an external changeover switch/relay to swap between generator and shoreline than a Quattro 48/10000, though this is not the solution I'd really prefer.

I know that Victron policy is "never announce anything until it's on the price list", but this is not helpful for customers trying to plan what to do in the near future, because the original and new models are a completely different size and shape and this means how the electrical system is installed (this is on a boat) is very different, so it's impossible to switch at short notice if the Quattro II suddenly pops up on the next price list... :-(

1 Like 1 ·
quattro-internals.png (871.4 KiB)
Phil Gavin avatar image Phil Gavin iand commented ·

I also want to ensure I can optimize the model longevity of my future scheme, but I see the new vs old discussion differently.

There is an inability of newer models to parallel because of apparent hardware issues.

The ability to parallel is a massive Victron selling point.

To me, this means either the older ( paralleling) model will be with us for a fair time to come, or the newer model's hardware will be updated soon.

The older model also has a proven track record.

So I see things favouring the older model.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ iand commented ·
Yes the new model has some improvements but it is not available now and it is not clear when it will be available. So if you have to build a new system ASAP you might have to go with the old model.
0 Likes 0 ·
iand avatar image iand Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

I still don't understand why Victron don't give *some* advance notice of planned product releases -- not guaranteed (things can always go wrong and cause delay) but what they *expect* to release in the near future -- say, the next 6 months or so.

Many companies do this because it helps their customers plan which way to go in developments in progress, by knowing what new products are "in the pipeline" and when they might appear, and whether to wait for them (with advantages) or not.

For example, if Victron said "We plan to release the Quattro II 48/10000 in March 2023" and this is too late for me, I know I have to choose *now* between the Quattro (old model) or MP II with external switch -- and there's no point waiting in the hope that the Quattro II might appear in time, but then maybe finding I can't get one soon enough.

This then allows planning of the installation to proceed, because this is different for old and new models due to form factor differences, they're not a drop-in replacement especially in a space-constrained application like a boat -- where I know I won't ever need to parallel units up.

All this probably means that I'll go ahead using the new models, based on the Multiplus II with external generator/shoreline switch; if the Quattro II is available in time I'll use that instead and remove the external switch.

0 Likes 0 ·
janvi avatar image
janvi answered ·

Sorry for asking in this thread over a full year of age. I am also interested in 10/15kVA Quattro II. Parallel feature required, any certificates are a dont care. Maybe something is already seen on the radar screen in the meanwhile ?

2 |3000

iand avatar image
iand answered ·

Still no sign of the bigger Quattro IIs, I got my boatbuilder (qualified Victron installer) to check. Had to go with Quattro 48/10000, couldn't fit two Quattro II 48/5000 in... :-(

2 |3000

Juha Tuomala avatar image
Juha Tuomala answered ·

Any status updates on this?

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

From our guidelines:

When will new product X, Y or Z be available?

Please do not ask the community when products, updates or approvals will be ready or available.

New products are announced at various shows and on the Victron blog website. This is done when the specifications are quite certain, but before there is a good indication around supply dates. Delays can occur. Victron Professionals can subscribe to our weekly newsletter which provides updates.

0 Likes 0 ·