question

andywb avatar image
andywb asked

VE.Smart Network between MultiPlus and SmartShunt?

Can the MultiPlus inverter-charger communicate with a SmartShunt over bluetooth, please?

My old inverter-charger has recently died, so over the last week I've been doing a lot of reading about replacements, and it's been a lot of information to take in.

I thought I watched a video which explained that, using the VE.Bus Smart Dongle, the MultiPlus inverter-charger can communicate with the SmartShunt over bluetooth but I can now no longer find it.

The cable between the inverter-charger and the batteries is a couple of meters in length, and there is apparently some voltage drop when the inverter was in use - my old inverter-charger (an Atlas Combi) gave some problems with its inverter refusing to operate because of a low voltage warning - so it would be good to have accurate battery voltage sensing for the new inverter.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerSmartShuntVE.Smart NetworkVE.Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VE.Smart_Networking/en/ve-smart-product-compatibility.html

VE.Bus Smart Dongle

Not yet supported, may be compatible in the future

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

andywb avatar image
andywb answered ·

Yeah, I found that @snoobler , I wasn't sure if it was up to date.

So effectively the VE.Bus Smart Dongle is simply a paywall to access the MultiPlus's PowerControl feature?

Obviously it allows monitoring the charger with your phone but that's not worth paying money for.

2 |3000

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

VE.Smart Networking is useful for small systems (normally DC-only, without an inverter), where the cost of a GX device is not justified.

For what you want, you need a GX device (such as Cerbo GX).

If you do decide to buy Victron components, before you buy anything make sure you choose components which can work together in the way you need them.

2 |3000

andywb avatar image
andywb answered ·

I don't think there's any need for a Cerbo GX in such a simple installation, is there?

I never had one before.

I added the SmartSunt already to better monitor battery level.

But I do need a VE.Bus Smart Dongle to access the MultiPlus's PowerControl feature - unless I can access that using an ethernet cable or something?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

SmartShunt Product Page

SmartShunt Installation Manual

SmartShunt Quick Installation Guide

SmartShunt Datasheet

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VE.Smart Networking Manual