question

rattus avatar image
rattus asked

Feed-back vs Feed-in: Terminology defined, please assist.

Hello all.

Often I seem to find these two terms seemingly used to mean the same thing, though I do get confused as my brain cascades over questions around "Source, contents and container", as in "if it's coming from the grid then surely it must be fed in-to the battery/installation" and yet 'feed-in' seems to suggest feeding in-to the grid, which should be 'feed-back'.

Is there a standard?

Am I overthinking it? Probably.

It's just that we're not talking about sandwiches, where the mustard goes under the ham, or onto the ham, but the ham must be in the sandwich. Or is it like being "born out into the world"?

thanks.

r.

grid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·

Depends on where you are in the world.
Feed-in, Back feed, export are all referring to the same thing, sending power into the grid.

As the community forum is global there is bound to be multiply terms.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Rattus

Lol. Overthinking? I had this same conversation with a colleague.

Conculsion of the conversation.... A generator is a source, so hydro, nuclear, petrol, diesel or whatever feeds into a load (consumers).

By that definition, you have a solar generator, it feeds into the grid (the grid here is classed as a load).

But your system is also a consumer so it is also fed into, since now on the other side of the grid there are power generators and you are now the load.

Now you would never want to feed into a diesel generator as it is only ever a source, not a load, so that would be back feed? And a bad thing.

So clear as mud I guess...

1 comment
2 |3000

rattus avatar image rattus commented ·

@Alexandra ..."I had this same conversation with a colleague"

Now I know I'm not alone.

You can quickly enter a world where the sandwich wants to eat you...

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

To me feed back is a way of modifying a behaviour, be it an electrical circuit, mechanical system or person.

But seriously, you have to look at the context and be flexible.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic