question

eliott avatar image
eliott asked

EV Charging Station in off grid mode with SOC based charging

Hi! Will this feature be available when the EV Charging Station will go on sale?

thanks

ev charging station
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
eliott avatar image
eliott answered ·

Any info? Also the aim would be to use as little battery as possible with the MPPT or RS Inverter and mainly use the surplus PV Energy for car charging. Is this doable?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kaffeetasse avatar image
kaffeetasse answered ·

Good question.
I have my EV Charger wired to the relay output of my Cerbo GX. I can now switch it on / off manually via the vrm portal but it would be great if there was an option to assign it to the SOC or other values such as Battery load and have it switch automatically.

9 comments
2 |3000

eliott avatar image eliott commented ·
Do you have a Victron EV Charger? Did you check if it supports Node Red?
0 Likes 0 ·
kaffeetasse avatar image kaffeetasse eliott commented ·
I do not have one from victron, but I have now managed to program a logic via the Generator Start/Stop function.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

You can also use the relay on a smart shunt or bmv to achieve the SOC switching.

Or have the charger on AC2 of an inverter that is also programmable on SOC

0 Likes 0 ·
enfrafer avatar image enfrafer Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Hello @Alexandra, interesting your comment.

Would you be so kind to help me find more information about this option? I am quite new with my installation and need to manage SOC to stop discharging the battery when I charge my EV. Today I have to manually change to "keep battery charge" or increase the SOC %, but I would like to have something more automatic.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ enfrafer commented ·

@enfrafer

You can use the programmable relay to switch ac2 out on and off. Here is just an example, obviously you can change the SOC figures to suit what you want.screenshot-20221206-064531.jpg

Then you will have to wire it onto the output 2 of the inverter.

When you run through the wizard for setting it up, you will also see ac loads state and quite a few other options can be used to determin if you want it on or off, such as the one you see above saying if AC1 is available it must also be on.

1 Like 1 ·

Thank you! Do you think I can use this feature to stop battery charge/discharge when I start charging the EV? Seems that the ACOut2 relay is more to start charging the EV, but my need is more disactivating the batteries.

If so, where can I find the right configuration guide from Victron? I am wondering for example if I need to activate the DVCC or not.

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·

Hey @Alexandra, just to keep you in the loop. I opened a new question around this topic https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/174420/victron-ess-with-a-non-victron-ev-charger.html

0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image shaneyake enfrafer commented ·

I would do this in NodeRed. You can have it disable ESS discharge when the ev is charging and return back automatically when the EV is done.
This runs on the Cerbo, you just need to Enable NodeRed in the large features menu.

1 Like 1 ·
enfrafer avatar image enfrafer shaneyake commented ·

Thank you! If I understand well:

- I need to wire the EV charger onto the output 2 of the inverter

- I need to activate and configure the NodeRed.

If this is correct, where can I find a Victron user manual for activating and configuring NodeRed in the Cerbo?

0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·

If you have a GX and the Victron charger this should be possible.

It also already has NodeRed integration so you can very easily setup your own rules to control it.

2 |3000

Iain avatar image
Iain answered ·

Also interested to know more about how the ev station can be switched off based on soc, both on and off grid systems. Doesn't seem to be possible now or am I missing something?

2 |3000

Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

I use the relais output of one (I have 3 with 6,78kW total) of my SmartSolar to switch on a 3,6kW EV charger (I have only to switch on a Relays which switch a standard wall socket.

It switch on, if the SmartSolar goes into float.

Maybe it is even better to use Absobtion.

2 |3000