question

george avatar image
george asked

Victron Easy Solar 5000 and Pylontech US3000 Battery

I have installed a Victron Easy Solar 5000 with two Pylontech US3000 batteries and 12x330 canadian solar panels.

In the beginning the system produced up to 3800 w of power but is seems the installer limited the PV to first 1600 w and then to 2600W.

What would be the reason be for this , since I need more PV for my house at midday.

When I asked the installer his reply was that I need to install more batteries then he can "open up" the system. This seems to me not right.

Lithium BatteryPylontechcharge current limit
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

Read this:
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom

I think the installer is correct.
What you are using during sun should be generated extra, the battery is just not capable of being charged faster.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

george avatar image george commented ·

If the batteries are fully charged the PV Panels are still producing only 2600 W

If there are more load the load is drawn from the batteries and a bit for the grid if the batteries are on 40 % all the load are drawn from the grid and PV

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B george commented ·

He may be limiting this as he has to cover for when the batteries are at a lower SOC and the MAX charge that the batteries can take is say 2600 watts, ie if you had NO loads going to the house. if he increased it then you could overcharge your batteries at to higher level of current (Amps) than 2600 watts, as he has restricted it to.

There are lots of Reasons why. so check with him and he will explain it to you, I am sure his advise will be correct.

you maybe able to also add a small Grid Tie inverter and move some of the excess panels (ie over 2600 watts) over to that and thus you could get over that battery input restriction, but this would be a extra investment by yourself.

Again talk to your installer some more

Also keep in mind that restricting the level to 2600 MAX output only clips off the peak period in the day, the morning and after noons are still at MAX output let aloan when you have cloud cover, so you may not be loosing very much overall output capacity over those hours/ Days . So even putting a extra grid tie unit on may not help a lot. and thus may not be worth doing.

ALSO doubling your battery bank size would also allow him to increase the output

Again its not just cut and dried, have a look at your Victron VRM and check out the solar Graph and you will see it building up and when it gets to 2600 it will flat line then start to drop off in the afternoon so you can then see the amount you are missing out on.

Hope the above makes sense to you and helps.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

You are best off to discuss this with your installer until you understand their point of view, or if you think they are still doing the wrong thing, seek another local professional opinion.

There could be many reasons to limit the solar. But the only one that matters is your installers reason, and you have to talk to them to try to understand.

One note is that a 40% minimum state of charge still leaves a lot of usable capacity in the Pylontech. They can be discharged daily down to 15%.

You may WANT to keep more in reserve if night time grid blackouts are common.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Victron Pylontech battery compatibility guide

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic