question

danny9380 avatar image
danny9380 asked

Smart shunt - victron system issues battery percentage

Hi there,

Having issues with our victron system. We have a solar 100/30 MMPT controller a smart shunt, phoenix 12/500 inverter.

The issue we keep receiving is that the battery percentage will discharge like normal from a full charged battery and throughout the day solar will be put in via mppt controller. Which looks fine on the graph.

However after the system has been running for a couple of days like today for example; the battery got a low voltage warning but still reading 65% at 11.1 volts.

Through the day the battery current does increase when there is solar input is this normal?

I was thinking the battery terminals for MPPT controller should go straight to battery although I have been told that the negative lead should be wired onto

The system side of the shunt not directly to battery.

Any help or fault finding ideas would be greatly appreciated

battery charging
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

I was thinking the battery terminals for MPPT controller should go straight to battery although I have been told that the negative lead should be wired onto

The system side of the shunt not directly to battery.

And which way are yours connected?

0 Likes 0 ·
danny9380 avatar image danny9380 seb71 commented ·
Wired directly to the system side of the shunt
0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell danny9380 commented ·
This is the correct way, otherwise how would the Smartshunt know what charge was coming in from the solar.
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

How old are the batteries, do they get fully charged every day. Are your batteries worn out / aged / damaged so that they no longer have as new capacity (assuming lead acid type batteries). Is the battery capacity set correctly on the Smartshunt. Does the low voltage warming occur when you have a heavy load or a light load and what device reports it. If you have lead acid batteries are they getting fully charged every day to avoid sulphation, what are your MPPT and Smartshunt settings.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Also check the SmartShunt settings. Maybe it synchronizes to 100% SOC too soon.

What type is your battery?

2 |3000