question

zooka avatar image
zooka asked

[Solved] Honda eu10i not syncing to multiplus (revised: no generator syncing)

Hello,

I have hooked up a new Honda eu10i generator to an EasySolar 3000. The CCGX identifies the generator is there, but will not accept any charge. It attempts to sync with a click, but disconnects instantly. Current limit is set to 5A, but it doesn't even get that far to load the generator.

I have tried all of the settings in the generator faq; weak ac, UPS disabled, etc.. but have not had any luck.

Current non working config is attached;

a0f6fd5aa8b8_inst_ttyO1_Interfaces_Mk2_Tunnel(1).rvsc.zip

Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Zooka.

Multiplus-IIGenerator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
zooka avatar image
zooka answered ·

I finally got around to getting this fixed. It was a problem with the EasySolar unit itself. In the end the unit was not even clicking - the sound of the relay engaging to admit power to charge the batteries. The relay itself was faulty and repaired under warranty. Both generators work perfectly. Yay!

Thanks for everyone's assistance.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Zooka. That's a very small genny, and your 5A limit is an ac limit, so likely way too high for it. Inverter gennies take-no-prisoners if they're overloaded, and won't deliver.

Set (say) a limit of 2A for testing, but you can easily(must?) do that in the CCGX, the setting there should override the Multi limit you've used in VEConfig.

Note there's a lower limit in your 3000 that it's possible to go to, and without looking it up, you may come across it at the 2A level.

Have a go, and we can work from there.. Good luck.

2 |3000

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Also with the VE config under general turn on dynamic current limiter

this will SLOWLY increase the load to the generator

this may help but follow JohnC advise first

1554531576028.png (60.8 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

Yeh, this link actually highlights the 'Overruled by remote' tickbox. So then the CCGX rulez for sure. Easiest way to fool with trial settings..

0 Likes 0 ·
zooka avatar image
zooka answered ·

Thank you @PaulB and @JohnC for your responses.

I have dynamic current already enabled. I set the lowest setting available which is 4.5A, unfortunately it won't allow 2A. I pulled out my no name 2.4k generator and it is doing the same thing. Just won't sync up.

With the 2.4k genie;

Limit set to 4.5A;

And AC1 set to generator;

If there was a problem with the wiring you think it wouldn't detect the generator at all? (edit: I wired a plug straight from the genie to the multiplus to eliminate any issues, same thing happens.)

Any further ideas?

Thanks,

Zooka.

2 |3000

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

try setting the charger amps in VE config down to say 20 amps

1 comment
2 |3000

zooka avatar image zooka commented ·

Here?

Tried 20 and 10A, no luck. Also tried turning off PowerAssist, same result. This is still with the 2.4k genie.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hello Zooka,

I have just updated the Multiplus Generator FAQ since your post, specifically the last section on PowerAssist.

Please run through it again.

6 comments
2 |3000

Hey Guy,

I disabled PowerAssist and was able to drop the current limit to 2A, still no luck. Testing with Charger Only mode was also unsuccessful. I even tried disabling ground relay.

At this point I am going to assume this is a wiring issue that is above my level of expertise, but shouldn't running in Charger Only mode disqualify anything wrong on the AC out line?

0 Likes 0 ·
John Rushworth avatar image John Rushworth ♦♦ zooka commented ·

For interest, although I appreciate it doesn’t solve your particular problem. I have the same Honda Genny, which is 900W continuous. Fortunately my 800VA Multi allows me to set current lower or to zero so I get passthru in Charger only mode. A workaround for lower assist currents would be to use a Digital Multi Control instead of the CCGX for Power Assist to save overloading genny. On another install with a 2000VA Multi it won’t let me set to zero in Charger only, so the current limit seems to be a MultiPlus model dependent/firmware version thing. I’m not sure why. As for getting the genny on load, it does take time to kick in and ramp up, dynamic current limiter enabled or not. I also make sure with the little Honda to have it in Hare mode not Tortoise initially. When the load does come on I then switch to Tortoise and let the eco throttle do it’s job. Here the separate remote. https://www.victronenergy.com/panel-systems-remote-monitoring/digital-multi-control-panel-gx

0 Likes 0 ·
zooka avatar image zooka John Rushworth ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks John, good to know someone has it working, if only in charger only mode? What settings do you have in your config for the inverter to accept? As in, do you have weak AC, etc toggled? Also, when you say some time to ramp up do you mean seconds or minutes?

0 Likes 0 ·

Works in inverter and charger only mode. For my application I don’t want power assist, so with my 800VA Multi I set in Charger only and wind the current to Zero to get Pass Through and monitor my load manually so I don’t overload the genny. On my 2000VA current will not go to Zero so I’m waiting for a MultiPlus firmware update as often I don’t want to be charging my batteries when on hookup. If I do I use On as opposed to Charger only as with the 2000VA I occasionally go over the 230/16A hookup shore supply. My 800 is on the boat, 2000 on my motorhome.

Ramp up is seconds, just takes longer if you have dynamic current limiter enabled. I used dynamic for a while and then stopped using it. Honda Genny is very reliable with my MultiPlus. Occasionally it’ll drop out on 900W load after an hour or two but it kicks back in just fine. I suspect that is temperature so I run just under the 900W rating at around 880W with Eco throttle enabled so it’s not so noisy on lighter loads.

I don’t use weak AC.

0 Likes 0 ·

PS the reason I set to Zero current on the boat and use Charger only and don’t have MultiPlus in On position, is because the boat is unattended on shore power in the marina. If shore failed and I had it set to on then the inverter would kick in and drain my batteries as a small heater is always on in the boat over winter. Although I have an alarm set to send me an email if shore power goes off I might be away and not be able to get to the boat before batteries drained. Also when using with the genny I don’t want the overhead of the Inverter in On position or it kicking in on Power Assist without me realising it, hence I really like the current to Zero in charger only mode to get Pass Through. I only wish my 2000VA MultiPlus in the camper would allow Zero current too. I’m told it may happen with a firmware update in time.

0 Likes 0 ·
zooka avatar image zooka zooka commented ·

To take this a step further; if I disconnect all AC wiring from the multi to eliminate breaker, RCD etc issues and connect the generator directly to the multi we should be able to see some action..

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Have you got the grid code set to

None as per below "This is the inverters default setting"

I have seen this happen if you have a different grid code setting.

as the generator gets a power back-feed of some type or the inverter does not like the connection as it cant export power or some thing like that.

1554611322319.png (22.4 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Definitely set to None, thanks Paul.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Also looking at your inverter file I see the firmware is 413 try upgrading it to 433.

worth a try

2 |3000