question

mduncan avatar image
mduncan asked

LifeP04 & IP22. Documentation shows 4.2 absorption, requires 4.6 for full charge

Hi All,

After looking through all documentation for the Blue chargers, Lithium mode sets absorption at 4.2, which is not configurable unlike the MPPT solar chargers. Using a Renogy 170ah LifeP04 batter, and Renogy's documentation states 14.6.

My question is - should I be concerned that the battery will never be fully charged considering that the absorption phase stops at 14.2?

Adding to this, my BVM states that the maximum voltage detected is 13.7. Why does this not reconcile with the reading on the charger?

Thank you!

bvm 712
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
klaus-pedersen avatar image
klaus-pedersen answered ·

Hi mduncan

Each Li-ion manufacturer have slightly different specifications on their batteries, so I suggest you use the LiFePo4 profile from Victron as your starting point and then modify this profile to your battery. You can just put in new values and the profile automatically switches to custom. Reason for this is that the profile from Victron is tailored to their Li-ion batteries and not your type. So contact the battery manufacturer and get their charging specifications. Personally I don't see a problem in charging to 14.2V instead of 14.6V, it means that you will have less charged capacity in the battery, but longer life cycle as you are not charging to 100%. If you value capacity over number of cycles just change the settings to 14.6V if that is what they specify. Unlike "traditional" batteries, Li-ion is completely fine with not being fully charged, so no worries there.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

The Lithium setting is at the level which is required for the Victron Energy lithium batteries. For other brands also a user defined setting (with disabled temperature compensation ) can be chosen.

2 |3000

Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

As far as the BMV, The charge voltage level is to trigger the synchronize to 100% as soon as the absorbtion is done, so float mode is started. At this point the battery was charged AND balanced before the readout is set to 100% . if you want you can also the absorbtion here as trigger, but often the absorbtion period is required to reach the actual 100% capacity.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic