question

mduncan avatar image
mduncan asked

BVM 712 SMART Relay - What does "remote" do? Not in documentation

Hi All -

Relay wiring and documentation for the BVM 712 Smart are desperately lacking. I have a power protect and a 712 on opposite sides of a teardrop camper with only a single wire available connecting the two.

I am trying to figure out:

1. what the three three relay terminals on the 712 are for / how used?

2. In the app there is a "remote" option for relay mode

Neither of the above are mentioned in any of the documentation.

I am hoping that "remote" mode will send a 12v+ connection across my single wire so I can manage low/over voltage disconnect of the power protect with my 712.

Recommend adding any information around this to the documentation.

Thanks for the help and advice.

bvm 712 rela
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Luit Jan avatar image
Luit Jan answered ·

Hi All,

I was puzzling with this also. Very poor documentation about this item. I installed the relay few days ago by just trying. I wired the + over the COM and then NO (normal open) with this I switch an external relay to switch my battery loader.

What Remote means is also for me a big question.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

amanzoor77 avatar image amanzoor77 commented ·

Hi Luit-Jan,

I am also trying to accomplish sort of same, i will much appreciate if you could please share wiring diagram from BMV-712 to the external Relay? Does external relay should have its own power source or power will be provided by BMV?

Regards

Asif

0 Likes 0 ·
compinche avatar image
compinche answered ·

I would also like to know how to use the Remote option as it might be simpler than trying to get the relay settings to work properly. The manual is pitiful.

2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, setting the Relay node to Remote means that it can be controlled via the serial port. Its for system integrators that develop their own software and want to have a controllable relay.

We’ll add this to the manual, thank you!

6 comments
2 |3000

andersonmiles avatar image andersonmiles commented ·

what about connecting it to a MultiPlus or a Venus device?

1 Like 1 ·
adam avatar image adam commented ·

Hi, as another comment mentions. Will this remote switching of the relay come to the Venus devices as well? So they can control the relay in the BMV?

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ adam commented ·

Hi @Adam, that function would be nice; but its currently not on the list of things in progress. Too many other things. :-)

0 Likes 0 ·
karelholubicka avatar image karelholubicka mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Same problem here.

I even designed a circuit based on expectation (based on BMV user manual), that BMV Relay in Remote mode will be controlled from CCGX, and now I am busted.

Any progress in development? Just the status field "Relay" OPEN/CLOSED in CCGX can be made WRITEable? Thanks, Karel

0 Likes 0 ·
karelholubicka avatar image karelholubicka karelholubicka commented ·

WORKAROUND SOLVED - for using BMV 702 relay as "remote" relay, I actually figured out this configuration: Use "default" setting (not "remote") for relay and disable all relay alarms. So relay is always OPEN. Then, setting "relay invert" to ON makes relay to CLOSE. This can be done remotely via Victron Connect, either in local or in VRM mode. Pretty easy.

1 Like 1 ·
bitterrootutility avatar image bitterrootutility karelholubicka commented ·
Now why didn’t I think of that!
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic