question

sea-change-2 avatar image
sea-change-2 asked

Color Control GX NMEA out via WI-FI?

Hi

Have the Victron Color Control GX and it’s working perfectly in standalone mode with Quattro, MPPTs, etc. Firmware version v2.87.

I have connected the GX to the onboard WI-FI network and it is visible and has an IP address assigned by my router.

I have a Windows machine running Signal K server on the WI-FI network and I would like to input NMEA data from the GX into the Signal K server. However, I’m not able to see any NMEA output from the GX IP address on ports 1883 or 8883. I have tried TCP and UDP.

The Signal K server is able to receive NMEA data from B&G MFD and YD WI-FI gateway which are also connected via WI-FI

I have also tried using the NMEARemote app (iOS) to connect to the GX and also have no NMEA data being received. NMEARemote is able to receive B&G and YD NMEA data

Is it possible to receive GX NMEA data via WI-FI? If so, what am I missing?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

gx deviceNMEA 2000 - N2K
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Sea-change 2,

NMEA 2000 over WiFi on a GX device is not possible. You must connect your GX to your NMEA 2000 network using a VE.Can to NMEA 2000 cable.

Another solution is to use Venus OS large image on your GX, which contains SignalK. This way, the GX feeds its data directly into SignalK, where you can process further.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sea-change-2 avatar image
sea-change-2 answered ·

@Stefanie If I install Venus OS Large on the GX will I be able to access the Signal K output via Wi-Fi From my other Signal K Server?

1 comment
2 |3000

Technically it is possible. But I've never tried it myself. Normally one SignalK server in one system is sufficient. Perhaps ask this question to the SignalK developers here: https://groups.google.com/g/signalk

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources