question

Dylan Tucker avatar image
Dylan Tucker asked

Separate shore power and inverter mains circuits

Hi all -

I have a 12/500 multiplus and I'm a little confused regarding mains circuits after looking at a few diagrams. Some show a totally separate mains circuit from the hookup and then one from the inverter. Am I right in saying that this is an optional setup if you want to have a circuit you use for higher draw items as there's a higher rating if it's coming straight from the shore power rather than via the inverter? I will only be using laptops and other digital devices so doesn't seem a big deal for me, so at the moment I'm assuming all mains power can make its way to me via the inverter. Just need to check my assumptions are right!

Here is a shot from a book i'm reading this shows this kind of setup:

sparate-multipluscircuits.jpg

Many thanks

multiple inverters
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Dylan Tucker

Yes, your summary is pretty much how it works. Your 12/500 is rated to passthrough 16A of ac, You may find that there's a bit of a safety margin applies there, and that it may not tolerate nasty load spikes like a direct shore connection might. If that happened the Multi would disconnect it and reattempt a few seconds later.

But if your loads are light you should find it will handle the lot through the Multi.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic