question

Charlie Johnson avatar image
Charlie Johnson asked

MultiPlus Trips Shore Pedestal RCD

A DIY MultiPlus (USA) 3000/120/120/50 installation on a boat by one of my very competent customers is tripping his shore power RCD.

The RCD is a 5mA trip on his 50A/250VAC split phase shore power supply. I am going to have him install a 30mA/100mSec RCD to remove that variable. Here is the procedure he has to go through when he returns to his home dock and brings shore power back aboard:
  1. Also, as I’ve mentioned before, my home power setup has a 5mA trip GFCI breaker in the subpanel feeding the dock so much more sensitive than the 30mA seen in newer marinas. So let’s say I pull up to the dock with the inverter having been on during a trip. I plug in mains power while the inverter is “inverting” and when I turn on the breaker it immediately trips. I have to turn off the inverter, then go through the following power-up sequence for things to stabilize.
  • Turn of all the boat’s breakers
  • Turn inverter off
  • Turn on Mains power to the boat
  • Turn on non-inverted line1 and 2 breakers (can also now turn on individual breakers under those line breakers such as AC units)
  • Turn on main breaker for inverted circuits but have no “sub breakers” under that main breaker on.
  • Turn on the inverter – its LED show it in INVERT mode but after a few seconds it shifts to “MAINS” and subsequently starts charging batteries.
  • I can then turn on the individual inverted breakers (refrigerator, ice maker, outlets, etc)
  • All is good.
The feedback (input) relay will not close until after the N>G relay opens so what is causing the RCD to trips during the first changeover from inverter to pass through but once he goes through the procedure above, the Multi comes on line and is rock steady?

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

shorepower
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Sarah avatar image
Sarah answered ·

Try disabling the UPS functionality in the inverter.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Charlie Johnson avatar image Charlie Johnson commented ·
@Sarah: Have you tried this, and it worked? Of course this eliminates one of the strong features of a MultiPlus; the ability to instantly provide AC on loss of mains.
0 Likes 0 ·
Sarah avatar image Sarah Charlie Johnson commented ·

I too have had problems with my MP-II inverter tripping an input RCD in the past - we are rarely on shore power and disabling the UPS functionality is next on my list of troubleshooting options.

0 Likes 0 ·
hjohnson avatar image
hjohnson answered ·

Smells like something isn't quite wired correctly on the multiplus. The Multiplus does have a neutral->ground bonding relay, which if it were closed while connected to the pedestal, would likely trip it. However, this shouldn't happen in practice. The sequence of events while powered on is that the multiplus detects the shore power, synchronizes its output to the input, lifts the neutral->ground bonding, then closes the shorepower relay. The only time that it would likely trip a shore GFCI/ELCI is on its initial power up when it tests all its relays.

On my boat, I've added a 30mA ELCI at my shore power inlet, before the MultiPlus. I have yet to trip it accidentally.

On your customer's boat, it smells like there is an extra bonding between the neutral and ground conductor.

1 comment
2 |3000

Charlie Johnson avatar image Charlie Johnson commented ·

@hjohnson: Good thought but once he goes through the process detailed above, the MultiPlus starts passing through/charging and stays rock solid indicating that there is no N>G bond aboard and that the problem is within the Multi.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic