question

jsc avatar image
jsc asked

My Quattro inverter is pumping the grid like crazy every 1 o 2 weeks

Hi everyone,

I'm fighting with my system for weeks now and i'm wondering if anyone saw this behaviour.

I have 2 Quattro 48 units as split phase with 8 rolls batteries 487ah.
The system is working properly and then every 1 or 2 weeks in the morning it's start pumping on the grid like crazy even if the batteries are full.
I can't stop it until I switch off the inverter and restart it which i can't do remotely as i'm loosing the internet connection.
If i leave this situation going on for several hours, it's not stopping by itself (i tried 6 hours and was still pumping, the batteries were like boiling with increase in temperature.
The system doesn't use ESS.

Until now, no one was able to find the reason for this

If anyone has an idea you will save me from months of headaches ...

Thanks

1653834564090.pngscreenshot-2022-05-29-at-083420.pngscreenshot-2022-05-29-at-083442-1.png

multiple inverters
7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

What do you mean by "pumping the grid"/"pumping on the grid"? Exporting energy to the grid?

In your first screenshot the inverter is charging the battery from the grid (also the PV is charging, but with much less power), and the battery appears to be at 67%, not full (as you say).

Do you have a SmartShunt/BMV?

0 Likes 0 ·
jsc avatar image jsc seb71 commented ·
it's taking a lot of electricity from the grid even if the solar panel gives enough for my own consumption and to recharge batteries. In the screenshot batteries are not full indeed, but it happens even if the batteries are full.

Usually when needed, the system is taking energy from the grid for my own consumption and a bit more to charge the batteries. Then every 1 or 2 weeks it's starting taking a lot of W from the grid until i restart the the inverter and get back to a normal situation.

Yes i have a BMV

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 jsc commented ·

Do you want to charge the battery from the grid (in certain occasions)?

Can you upload the inverter settings file?

0 Likes 0 ·

yes i want to charge the battery from the grid when needed when battery Voltage is too low or when there's no sun) but reasonably like it is the case when the system is working as it should, like this for instance

screenshot-2022-05-29-at-105644.png

inverter 1 vsc 202205291044.zip

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 jsc commented ·

I use ESS, so I am not that familiar with Hub-1 mode you use. That mode has some periodic battery recharge algorithms and those might explain the periodic battery charging you see.

Check the charge Absorption/Float voltages recommended for your battery. The values you have set seem a little to high.

In your last screenshot something also seems to be wrong: SOC at 97%, but battery voltage only 48.70V (and this is while charging the battery) and Sustain mode was triggered (this mode recharges the battery because it is supposedly at very low SOC).

Check the settings for all devices.

You don't use ESS because you do not want to install an anti islanding device, I assume. ESS should work much smoother.

0 Likes 0 ·
I tried ESS but i had all my fans going crazy, stopping and restarting all the time
0 Likes 0 ·
thanks for your answers anyway, i will double check all values
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

do you have any automatic battery equalisation set?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jsc avatar image
jsc answered ·

yes, by the charge controller only

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic