question

sunuser avatar image
sunuser asked

Faulty unit or bad datasheet (quiescent current MPPT 75 | 10)

Hello,

according to the datasheet of the Smart Solar MPPT 75|10 it should draw around 10mA when not charging*. However I just measured my unit with 12V applied at the battery terminal and it draws arround 30..35 mA which is more than factor 3 and too much for my application.

Is my unit faulty or is the data sheet made out of fantasy values when the price is 10 times that of units where I would expect such inconsistencies?

Thanks for any clarification!

*) https://www.victronenergy.de/upload/documents/Datasheet-SmartSolar-charge-controller-MPPT-75-10,-75-15,-100-15,-100-20_48V-DE.pdf

inverter current draw
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

snoobler avatar image snoobler commented ·
Is your test equipment calibrated?
0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I wouldn't think the datasheet is a fantasy.
My unit measures below the specification, ~7.5mA with load output switched off:
pxl-20220525-212555037.jpeg

With the load output switched on it consumes about 15mA which is also under the specification.
With load output switched on and an active Bluetooth session the consumption is under 30mA.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sunuser avatar image
sunuser answered ·

Thanks for the fast reply! A firmware update did some improvement, however even with forcing load output and charger off, then disconnecting the app, I don't get within spec. This also doesn't really change when waiting and turning off BT on my phone. As meter I used the 87V so I trust those measurements. So I guess I just got a bad unit.

2 |3000

Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

I think some variability does exist on some of the quiescent conditions. I know the rest current for instance for the Quattro can change from unit to unit quite a bit.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic