question

brytonstevens avatar image
brytonstevens asked

Can't detect WiFi on Easysolar 2 GX

Just bought a new house that came with solar installed. Trying to setup EasySolar-II GX on new WiFi.

Found the steps to follow once logged into the system which requires a wifi connection from a device to the Easysolar system. Problem is I can't pickup any WiFi networks for Easysolar system.

What can I do to get the WiFi working so that I can connect to the system to configure a WiFi connection to my new WiFi Internet?

Side bar, I tried direct connect between laptop and system with LAN cable which didn't seem to work. Found an instruction somewhere later saying that you shouldn't do it directly. Not sure if it actually is possible without another piece of hardware or device needed I between laptop and Easysolar system.

EasySolar All-in-Onegx devicewifi
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

do you have a router in there to connect it with a cable directly into that router?
0 Likes 0 ·
brytonstevens avatar image brytonstevens Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
I have a router with the fiber Internet, but the router is quite far, would need a 15m LAN cable or more to reach it.

Not really an option at the moment.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

That would be the best option

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Maybe the previous owner disabled the WiFi access point so your only way is a wired connection to enable it again.

You can also try to make a direct LAN connection to your laptop. The GX device should than appear in the network settings of the laptop.

5 comments
2 |3000

brytonstevens avatar image brytonstevens commented ·
How do I do this? I tried this with both the ethernet port on the Easysolar device directly via LAN into laptop as well as from the Ve.bus port directly to laptop but didn't pickup a network. Really could not find clear instructions on how this is supposed to be done from looking at probably about 5 different manuals I could find on the Internet.
0 Likes 0 ·
checkit avatar image checkit brytonstevens commented ·

From experience I can tell you that you might battle to connect your Easysolar to your wifi network, unless your router is very close by.I suspect it might be due to the GX card being built into a metal enclosure, which is attenuating the signal from the router. We have had to use a wired connection on every Easysolar installation so far.

To connect to it, plug a cable into the ethernet port (not VE Bus) on the Easysolar and the other end to your laptop. Set your IP to DHCP, open a browser and type venus.local into the address bar. This should bring up the remote console.

0 Likes 0 ·
brytonstevens avatar image brytonstevens checkit commented ·
Thanks for the feedback!

I'll try this approach.

Doesn't sound promising by the sounds of things if I'll be able to connect to the WiFi. I got full signal on my phone when standing next to the box. So hoping there is at least some signal picked up by the GX wifi

0 Likes 0 ·
brytonstevens avatar image brytonstevens checkit commented ·
I got connected to the GX via LAN cable. And as was mentioned above could not pickup my WiFi network. It was strange though because I picked up my neighbours WiFi network which in my phone had a third of the signal strength of my own wifi. I'm going to try connect the GX to an old router and then connect the old router wirelessly to new one for internet
0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 brytonstevens commented ·

And as was mentioned above could not pickup my WiFi network. It was strange though because I picked up my neighbours WiFi network which in my phone had a third of the signal strength of my own wifi.

Is your WiFi 5GHz? GX can only see 2.4GHz WiFi.

0 Likes 0 ·