question

mats-ohlsson avatar image
mats-ohlsson asked

CCGX crashes the NMEA bus

I have installed a LiFePo4 system in my boat (see diagram). When I insert the VE Can -> N2K cable in the CCGX the whole N2K system is wiped out. It happened before, when I had connected the CCGX after the MultiPlus Remote Panel. Having changed it to the present set up it worked well. That was last season. This season, after having installed Load Disconnect and Charge Disconnect it doesn't work. Any clues? 120097 LiFePo4 inst incl Alt & Gen v10.pdf

NMEA 2000 - N2K
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@Mats Ohlsson

Did you try to remove the fuse of the VE.Can to NMEA 2000 cable?

See also: NMEA 2000 & MFD integration guide section 3.4.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mats-ohlsson answered ·

The fuse is for injecting power in the N2K network I think, but this is not necessary since the network is powered through Actisense Quick Network Blocks. It is not used.

1 comment
2 |3000

@Mats Ohlsson

What happens if you power the CCGX directly from your battery? Will your N2K network continue to work? Looks like you have created a ground loop somewhere in your system.

0 Likes 0 ·
mats-ohlsson answered ·

My first attempt was to feed the CCGX from the battery (hadn't read the instructions you see) and the whole N2K-bus was blocked (there was also the problem that I had connected the CCGX in series with the MultiPlus Remote, also a no no). So I changed and connected it to Load Disconnect from the BMS according to the Victron Diagram, and then it worked (hat was last season).

A ground loop is a good hypothesis, should i not change the minus? Everything has the same ground???. I'll try feeding from the battery, feeding from Load Disconnect seems quite inexplainable, to see what happens.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic