question

asbjoern85 avatar image
asbjoern85 asked

List of compatible BMS, VE.Bus or CANBus

Hi

I'm looking for a BMS for my LiFePO4 batteries which is compatible with Victron Multiplus-II, either over VE.Bus or CANBus.

So far I have only found the REC Active BMS, are there any others?

Multiplus-IIBMSVE.Bus
6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi Asbjoern,

I am moving this to the modifications space.

The only currently supported batteries are those listed here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:start

1 Like 1 ·
irwinr avatar image irwinr Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

This appears to have not been updated in some time.

I'm trying to determine if I the Daly "Smart" BMS (With CANBUS) can be integrated into the Colot Control GX for battery monitoring and charging control.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ irwinr commented ·

Hi @irwinr

This BMS speaks a different protocol, so a GX device won't recognize them.

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·

This company a has a good range. and they are in Europe. They have a good app which is free to down load and use.

https://emusbms.com/product/bms-mini

0 Likes 0 ·
andyalford avatar image andyalford commented ·

I'm also looking to buy REC Active BMS for Victron. I plan to connect to CCGX and use this as a true SOC Battery Monitor.

I am hoping somehow that it will tell the SmartSolar 100/50 to stop charging when SOC is above 90% or so, rather than just using the Voltage.

Did anyone find that this has worked for them?

0 Likes 0 ·
yuwire avatar image yuwire commented ·

I see someone has made a Chargery driver and it is working well.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/57416/chargery-bms-on-venus-os.html

0 Likes 0 ·
10 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

As far as I know, REC is the only one really. They have good support for Victron too.
Apparently the Batrium works, but I can't be certain. Besides the price of it is rather extortionate.

11 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·

You can try this company https://emusbms.com/product/bms-mini

Much better pricing and app software.

Recommend then

0 Likes 0 ·
Yusef Neblett avatar image Yusef Neblett Rob Duthie commented ·

Hi Rob,

Are you saying Emus BMS is compatible with a Venus GX victron controller (CCGX, etc)? I can't find any information on the web regarding this compatibility. Can you please confirm?

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie Yusef Neblett commented ·

Hi

Yes i had a email confirmation on the integration of the Victron with the G1 BMS units. And in the Mini BMS later this year August September.

Just email and ask them.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
gnagflow avatar image gnagflow Rob Duthie commented ·

Do you have already some experience to share?

0 Likes 0 ·
nick-wiggill avatar image nick-wiggill Rob Duthie commented ·

Indeed, experience would be more useful than, "they told me that it did".

0 Likes 0 ·
bricki avatar image bricki nick-wiggill commented ·

I‘ve successfully connected a EMUS BMS G1 via BMS.Can to a Cerbo GX. Pretty straightforward after installing a firmware to the G1 with „Victron“ as part of the filename. Should be available from EMUS.

0 Likes 0 ·
jokani avatar image jokani bricki commented ·

I'm looking at installing a EMUS BMS G1. Can you give any extra info on what data is shared with the Cerbo, and what data would be viewable on a GX Touch 50?

0 Likes 0 ·
bricki avatar image bricki jokani commented ·

Hi Jokani,

on the Cerbo GX and Touch 50 you can see

- Voltage, current, state of charge and state of health, battery temperature

- desired charging voltage and charging current and max discharging current

the last three values are interpreted as DVCC values which the Cerbo gives to a connected VE.Bus charger like the Multi series.

Furthermore you can see every alarm message.

But the Emus G1 has to be equipped with a Victron compatible firmware. You can get it from Emus.

You can connect the Emus via the BMS Can or the VE.Can bus to the Cerbo. Both works...

Peter

0 Likes 0 ·

Thanks Peter, that is really helpful, any chance you can help me with a few more bits?

I'll be connecting a Multiplus 12-3000-120-16, which has the potential to draw 250A, do you know what the max cont Amps is for a Emus G1, I can't find it on their site.

With all the data that the G1 provides, would I no longer need the smart-shunt that I intended to fit?

Gary

0 Likes 0 ·

Gary, the G1 don‘t care about the max current you‘re taking from the battery, as long the current sensor is able to measure that current. 250A is not a big deal. So it will work. In my installation I was not happy with the emus current sensors. I tested both types and I didn‘t get accurate measures for small and bigger currents. My Emus dealer and I will insvestigate that withinthe next few weeks. I have tested the only third party current sensor, the G1 is supporting. It‘s a Can-bus sensor from a german company „Isabellenhuette“ (difficult name, isn‘t it?) This sensor is my favourite!! You can get that sensor with 100, 300 or 1000A max current. It‘s a shunt, while all Emus sensors are hall effect sensors.

Because you can‘t connect a Victron smart shunt to the Emus G1, it‘s useless for the BMS...

0 Likes 0 ·

checked again, you can get the Can bus sensor from Isabellenhütte up to 2500A max. current...should be enough... :-)

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

REC also have 'normal' (non active) BMS options, what configuration are you building? (4s, 8s, 16s, how many Ah)

2 |3000

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

try 123smart you can use LV and HV but you still need to connect to a VE BMS for the Multip[lus and Quattro interface

https://123electric.eu/

3 comments
2 |3000

wikel avatar image wikel commented ·

I've got the 123SmartBMS. Works well except for the cell balancing which heats up the resistor on the board causing the high temp alarm to trip, cutting off allow to charge signal to the multiplus.... You have to set the high temp higher than it should be so it doesn't cut off charging during a cell balance. Sort of defeats the purpose of the high temp function thought... otherwise fairly nice product.

0 Likes 0 ·
nick-wiggill avatar image nick-wiggill wikel commented ·

Rough price range for these?

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B wikel commented ·

This temp issue while balancing has been fixed in the gen 3 boards,

0 Likes 0 ·
mihair avatar image
mihair answered ·

As a proud owner of 22kWh LiFePO4 and REC-BMS I can confirm that this setup is 100% compatible with VenusOS.

1 comment
2 |3000

federico993 avatar image federico993 commented ·

Did you plug the REC through the CAN bus to the Venus?

0 Likes 0 ·
Michael Schmidt avatar image
Michael Schmidt answered ·

So do i understand right that REC BMS is working out of the box?

wich one is the compatable?

- rec Q BMS 16s

-rec SI BMS 16s?

2 |3000

padigree avatar image
padigree answered ·

Hey, are there any news? I'm planning to upgrade to some lifepo4 batteries too. Also have a mppt100/20 which works like a charme on venus os on my pi. Would be glad to get some bms into my system showing me the real soc. Kind regards :)

2 |3000

jokani avatar image
jokani answered ·

Ta for the shunt info, the IVT-Series is the model you mean? This shunt then plugs directly in to the G1, and not the Cerbo?

And yep, I wouldn't want to pronounce 'sabellenhuette' - But so long as the can deliver to the UK. all is good.

2 comments
2 |3000

bricki avatar image bricki commented ·

Correct, IVT-series will work. It‘s a can-bus sensor, so you have to include the sensor in the can-bus connection between Emus G1 and Cerbo GX. three wires, ground, Can+ (or Can H) and Can- (or Can L). The sensor needs +12V in addition. You can use the Can2 type of the sensor with no termination, cause you terminate the can-bus at Emus G1 and Cerbo GX. I‘m using the U0-version without any additional voltage sensor.

You can ask Isabellenhütte to recommend you a dealer in UK, cause they won‘t sell to end users directly. I‚ve paid 160 Euro plus VAT, plus shipping for 1 pcs. Not the cheapest sensor, but very good quality and precise.

Good luck...

0 Likes 0 ·

Thank you, I have sent an email requesting info on UK dealers.

The Emus G1, do you know the max number of 4 x 3.2 cells (12v) it can handle. Each bank of 4 will give 200Ah, and I am hoping to have 3 banks to give a total of 600Ah @12v.

0 Likes 0 ·
goboatingnow avatar image
goboatingnow answered ·

Hi are there any updats to VE.Can BMS's

2 |3000

manuc avatar image
manuc answered ·

Hi,

I saw in this post that it is possible to connect an Emus BMS G1 on a Victron Cerbo GX system. I am in this case.I would like to know what the procedure is.
I have performed the following tasks :

- updated my firmware with version 2.9.2 file: EmusBMS_m1284p_v2.9.2_Victron.img

- connected the G1 BMS Control Unit to the BMS-can output of my Victron Cerbo GX via the CAN and - CAN + and GND outputs

Is there anything else to do so that the EMUS G1 is seen by the system Victron Cerbo GX system ? Because I do not see it ... Maybe it's my cable? Do you have a plan of the cable that needs to be made ?

Thanks for your help

Emmanuel

1 comment
2 |3000

chenirl avatar image chenirl commented ·
Yes, you need to change the canbus speed on the emus, depending on what type of canbus you have with the emus eg.. ccgm/cgm you nee those to be connected as well.

also you need the canbus terminators on the victron side and on the emus side.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

check out Louis Vander Walt's BMS driver code, this can now support a lot of "independent" BMS's integrating them into the Victron system. I build my own BMS based on the Maxim 17852/3 chips.

1 comment
2 |3000

janvi avatar image janvi commented ·
Would you like to share your BMS project private or anything like Gitlab ?
0 Likes 0 ·