question

ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw asked

Do I have to configure MPPT if battery has BMS?

I have just installed a MPPT 150/45, multiplus II, Blue Nova 52V 77 Ah connected via a Colour control. The BlueNova has a BMS and connected via Ve. Can port and is recognised.

1. Do I have to configure the MPPT with the same BlueNova parameters as the Multiplus for float, Lithium etc. or can it pick it up from the Colour Contro/lMPPT?

2. Which device controls/should control the charging overall? MPPT, Cololor GX or Blue Nova BMS?

3. I understand the MPPT cannot be managed remotely? Is this correct and I will need someone to do it as I am now 8000 miles away?

Some guidance will be appreciated.

Etienne

MPPT ControllersLithium BatteryBMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mihair avatar image
mihair answered ·

Using VictronConnect you just have to configure the battery voltage. The MPPT will be under full BMS and ESS/DVCC control (if there is any)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nigelfxs avatar image
nigelfxs answered ·

I have a similar system, so hope this helps.

1. There is no need to directly program the MPPT, the CCGX controls it using the Multiplus II config settings, along with information supplied by the BlueNova BMS. I recommend also setting the Rotary Switch on the MPPT to position 7 (LiFePO4 Battery type) in case the comms link to the MPPT is disconnected.

2. The way I understand it is MPPT automatically handles the max current limit and how to get the best power out of the solar panels, but the CCGX communicates the target voltage to the MPPT. The MPPT then backs off the charge current as it gets close to the target voltage. This target voltage is configured in the Multiplus II via the VE Configure utility (requires a USB-MK3 dongle).

3. The CCGX can be monitored and configured remotely using "Remote Console" feature in the VRM Portal. The remote access has to be enabled on the CCGX for this to work.

2 |3000

tex260z avatar image
tex260z answered ·

Howdy all,
New problem, even though I wired my van with a separate port BMS, I am having a total brain fade on this little LiFePO4 system for my portable fridge.
60 amp x 20 amp BMS turned up this morning, battery pack is ready to connect, regulator is mounted on the back of the panel already, I am just stuck on the correct configuration! my brain is starting to hurt (again).

fridge-battery.jpgfridge-battery-system.jpg

1 comment
2 |3000

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

Do not mount them (battery+BMS and MPPT) on the back of the PV panel. They will get very hot.

1 Like 1 ·