question

dbainbridge avatar image
dbainbridge asked

VEConfigure functionality for macOS availability update?

I've glanced through many messages here and some years old that say Victron is working to move everything over to VictronConnect which is cross platform so that you do not need a Windows OS to run VEConfigure. Is there any update on the status of this?

My computer is an M1 MacBook Pro and from reading here it seems like even running Parallels to run Windows in a VM is not that straightforward since you have to use the ARM version of Windows.

I need this to configure my Quattro to prioritize using PV input and use battery down to certain state of charge.

macOS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@dbainbridge

A lot can already be set via the VictronConnect app. However, this does not apply to Assistants and the configuration of parallel and multiphase systems. For this, VEConfigure etc. is still needed.

As for the Apple M1 processor in conjunction with Parallels, there is a Parallels version for this that works with the new Apple processor.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dbainbridge avatar image dbainbridge commented ·
Thanks for the quick answer. Yes, I wanted to configure an assistance. I also realize there is version of Parallels for Apple silicon but there still appears to be issues getting drivers properly working with the MK3. If assistance configuration was added to VictronConnect that would help a lot and hence my hope someone from Victron could update us on when that will be available.
0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ dbainbridge commented ·
I'm currently installing Windows 11 and Parallels Desktop 17 on my M1 Pro macbook. I'll come back with results when I have it up and running.
0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ dbainbridge commented ·
Giving up on that. Installing the driver is way beyond my knowledge of Windows registry, signing a driver and all these things, which are required to get a virtual com port driver for the MK3 installed.

As Shane suggested, it's still possible to use Remote VEConfig via VRM.

0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·

MacOS is still not supported.

However you can use VRM via a GX to download and upload system configs. It is on the Device List Page on VRM. This way you don't need to worry about drivers, you just need to run the VE.Config program which can run remotely on windows machine or in a VM without the need for MK3.

2 |3000

dbainbridge avatar image
dbainbridge answered ·

Thanks for the helpful replies.. Just to confirm for my situation that I need to use VEConfigure; my Quattro that I just installed was set to "On" state but it would not use any of the potentially available PV power (PV generating 0 watts) to power the AC loads through the Quattro. It was simply passing through grid power. When I switched it to Inverter state in VictronConnect the PV power immediately jumped up to match the needed AC load (hundreds of watts). So I believe I need to use VEConfigure to set one of the Assistants to have the equivalent of "self-consumption system with a battery reserve". Is this correct?

1 comment
2 |3000

shaneyake avatar image shaneyake commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic