question

craig-gebhardt avatar image
craig-gebhardt asked

Change AC input 1 from Grid to Generator using Node Red

Good morning

I need to be able to set the AC 1 Input value of a Multiplus 48/5000 in a VE.bus system using Node Red. The parameter is manually adjustable using the GX touch screen or Remote Console (Settings>system setup>AC input1). However, I cannot find any option to set this parameter via any of the preloaded Victron Energy Nodes or via any of the MODBUS TCP registers. The value can be READ using Modbus from com.victronenergy.system Unit-ID 100 address 826. However this register is NOT WRITABLE.

1652429355858.png

Does anyone have a suggestion to be able change this value as part of a Node Red flow?

I have written a Node Red flow to automatically change the ESS mode from Optimised to Keep batteries charged when the user manually starts his Diesel genset and manually switches the change-over switch. The end user starts this large 3 phase genset occasionally to run 3 phase irrigation pumps. Since the generator has surplus capacity, the user wants it to immediately be recharging the batteries when it runs.

The generators AC output drives a dry contact as an input signal on D1 of the Cerbo GX which is set to Generator.

When the state of D1 changes it triggers the Flow.

The problem I am having is that unless I change the value of Settings>system setup>AC input1 from Grid to Generator the Display on the Touch GX still shows the input as Grid with a zero Value

1652431419627.png

It is only once I change the value for AC input 1 to 'Generator' via the Touch GX that I am able to see the correct information

1652431548916.png1652431576275.png

Why not then just leave the value set to 'Generator' all the time? The changing of the Value of AC input 1 from Grid to Generator seems to be more than just a display change. It changes the behaviour of the ESS system. If the only thing I then change is to set AC input 1 to 'Generator' while the system is still connected to the Grid and running ESS Optimised, the system changes its behaviour to power all loads directly from the Input source. The ESS status remains on "optimised" and the battery doesn't discharge or charge from AC Input source.

Sorry for the long explanation when all I want to actually know is how to change a single register. I trust it gives the necessary context.

Node-RED
1652429355858.png (63.0 KiB)
1652431419627.png (58.8 KiB)
1652431548916.png (61.0 KiB)
1652431576275.png (59.7 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gr0mit avatar image gr0mit commented ·
I've been going through the same pain! I'm preparing for winter power cuts, and want to change my ESS system to be able to charge from the generator programatically. To do this through the UI on the GX is a real faff.

I can't see a way to do this. Ideally this address 826 could be writable from Modbus. I can't see how this would be so hard to implement. I'm not very adept at writing code but from this thread I can see it being very welcome by a lot of people.

Cheers

Tim Robinson.

0 Likes 0 ·
6 Answers
Fedya Skitsko avatar image
Fedya Skitsko answered ·

Looking into the same functionality, need to change AC Input type into Generator by some logic, looks like that Address is not writableccgx-modbus-tcp-register-list-2022-07-26-22-35-26.png

Any suggestions?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Fedya Skitsko avatar image
Fedya Skitsko answered ·

Looks like we can do it through the generator device itself, by making a manual start?

trying to find how to enable this device on the gx, I hope it could be virtually added.

com.victronenergy.generator Manual Start 3500 uint16 1 0 to 1 /ManualStart yes 0=Stop generator; 1=Start generator
2 |3000

derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

Has there been any progress on this?

2 |3000

mduplifting avatar image
mduplifting answered ·

To enable generator device on the gx you should set 1st relay to "generator start/stop" and you'll have access to "Manual Start" function but it doesn't changes the "AC Input source" to "Generator" :(

Does anybody somehow figured out how to manage "AC Input source" ?

2 |3000

Michael Schmidt avatar image
Michael Schmidt answered ·

Having exactly the same Issue is there any solution already?

maybe last option is to script somethin on a virtual machine in webinterface but thats might be my last option :)

2 |3000

derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

Use Kevin windrem's guimods with exttransferswitch mod. Works great.

3 comments
2 |3000

Michael Schmidt avatar image Michael Schmidt commented ·
ok thanks for the hint!!!

but what is the exttransferswitch mod?

0 Likes 0 ·
derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas Michael Schmidt commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
olegv avatar image olegv derrick thomas commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·